Wahoo Element Bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
I have a problem with my Wahoo I get a message on the app update saying there is an update Every time I try to get the update it just says try again but still doesn’t up date.Has anyone any ideas

I have a problem with my Wahoo I get a message on the app update saying there is an update Every time I try to get the update it just says try again but still doesn’t up date.Has anyone any ideas
First of all, unless your Bolt is not working the way you expect I wouldn't be too worried. I pretty much ignore updates (Roam).

Is that the full message that you get every time?

The solution probably lies in the settings in the app, specifically the internet settings.

The Elemnt app works normally on whatever wifi you happen to be using (ie plan routes, view history, upload to Strava etc.) but in order to update the app or unit you need to "connect" the app to your Wifi directly. That will mean selecting the Wifi "source" and inputting the password.

Perhaps you have moved or changed ISP since you set it up?

Not relevant for you but this is about the only flaw in the Wahoo setup for long distance touring. Not every wifi connection is compatible.

OP
OP
pawl

pawl

Legendary Member
First of all, unless your Bolt is not working the way you expect I wouldn't be too worried. I pretty much ignore updates (Roam).

Is that the full message that you get every time?

The solution probably lies in the settings in the app, specifically the internet settings.

The Elemnt app works normally on whatever wifi you happen to be using (ie plan routes, view history, upload to Strava etc.) but in order to update the app or unit you need to "connect" the app to your Wifi directly. That will mean selecting the Wifi "source" and inputting the password.

Perhaps you have moved or changed ISP since you set it up?

Not relevant for you but this is about the only flaw in the Wahoo setup for long distance touring. Not every wifi connection is compatible.

Thanks for that Everything appears to be working normally The only thing I noticed is yesterday’s ride did not download to Strava
Till today Today’s ride was slow to download

Thanks for the advice

JB052

Apologies for the thread hijack, how or what are people using to plan routes on the Wahoo?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I use RWGPS, Komoot, Strava and Maplocs to map routes for my Wahoo Bolt.

The updating problem is caused by the internet connection. Do a search on here, there is another post that explains it.

newts

Veteran
Every now & then there is a hold up when Strava is a bit overrun, usually uploads after a few hours. I use komoot for planning new local rides, not sure how good it is for planning a full tour?

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
I also get the updates and eventually they catch up. I’ve only once had a glitch where one update meant that elevation data wasn’t transferred. A further update fixed that. I plan routes on cycle.travel, save as gpx and upload into the app. Does anyone know if there is a limit on routes you can store, I seem to have hundreds.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just a couple of things about Wahoo internet connection.

Wahoo only connects to 2.4GHz wireless networks and only connects to WIFI channels 1-9. How you check all this, I have no idea.

mikeIow

Guru
Apologies for the thread hijack, how or what are people using to plan routes on the Wahoo?

I use https://cycle.travel/map - truly a revelation in route planning!
It really does create some excellent routes….I download the .tcs file (rather than ,gpx), works a treat 👍

I use it locally now, but planned my LEJoG adventure earlier this year using it, & my Roam took me all the way with no problems. Well, aside from the one remote B&B I’d put the wrong address in for 🤪

figbat

Slippery scientist
I mostly plan on Strava and it syncs automatically. Occasionally I’ll use RWGPS if I want a turn-by-turn guidance.

My Bolt updated last night OK - as above, make sure the unit itself it set up to connect to WiFi.

Alex321

Veteran
I mostly plan on Strava and it syncs automatically. Occasionally I’ll use RWGPS if I want a turn-by-turn guidance.

My Bolt updated last night OK - as above, make sure the unit itself it set up to connect to WiFi.

Routes from Strava give turn-by-turn guidance nowadays as well. Certainly for the Roam, and the bolt is newer isn't it?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
What about the new generation Bolt - Does anybody here have this yet and if so are some of the issues with updates and connectivity still around? I am seriously considering getting one but was slightly put off by the DC Rainmaker YT review (accepted though that his situation is complicated by being in the middle of Amsterdam and all of the cycling routes there).

figbat

Slippery scientist
Routes from Strava give turn-by-turn guidance nowadays as well. Certainly for the Roam, and the bolt is newer isn't it?
I have the original Bolt, no TBT from Strava. But mostly I’m off-road anyway so a breadcrumb trail works perfectly - I have always got where I was planning to anyway!

Top Bottom