Wahoo Elemnt Battery Replacement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Briliant. Used for forst time today, I knew the route we where doing, but put the roam through it's pacess. It took me to where the ride started from, I deliberetly went of course, it showed me how to get back on route, Turn lights showed me wich way to turn, there where some red lights came on don't know what they ment, will have to google that, But i am well impressed so far, A nice upgrade from the Elempt. And for free. Wahoo after sales is good.:okay:
Don't the red lights come on when you go off route then again when you rejoin the route

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Red for off route and green for back on route on my Elemnt.

mm

people seem overjoyed that their units last two years.

Or are allowed to with a replacement from wahoo.

Cannot help but say that I wouldn't use any bit of kit like this that depended on a built in battery.

Felt like this right back to the days of the mighty Psion - could never understand anyone going for the built in battery version rather than the two AAs.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cannot help but say that I wouldn't use any bit of kit like this that depended on a built in battery.

Felt like this right back to the days of the mighty Psion - could never understand anyone going for the built in battery version rather than the two AAs.
BUT, make sure that you carry a couple of spare AAs... I had freshly charged NiMH batteries in my GPS for nickyboy's Scarborough ride but one of them failed mid-ride. (Became faulty rather than ran flat.) I tried several shops for batteries and ended up having to buy a pack of 8 Duracells for about £8! :eek: I replaced the faulty NiMH battery when I got home and now carry 2 of the Duracells for backup.

BUT, make sure that you carry a couple of spare AAs... I had freshly charged NiMH batteries in my GPS for nickyboy's Scarborough ride but one of them failed mid-ride. (Became faulty rather than ran flat.) I tried several shops for batteries and ended up having to buy a pack of 8 Duracells for about £8! :eek: I replaced the faulty NiMH battery when I got home and now carry 2 of the Duracells for backup.
never fear colin - i always carry lots of spare charged AAs - many of my multiple lights run off them as well so in a worse case scenario I can always find batteries. All of mine are rechargaebale. Yes, with anything using two AAs there is always the risk of an earlier than expected shutdown due to batteries being unbalanced.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If it's the red light across the top this is to indicate you have gone off course. The Elemnt does the same.

From time to time the red light on my Elemnt will flash when I'm clearly on route. This is usually because the mapping or plotting varies slightly from the road section I'm riding.

OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
I carry a small battery bank/recharger. Almost all of my stuff now uses built-in Li batteries. I don't need to use the battery bank often, but it works with phone/wahoo. Just like carrying spare AA batteries.

I carry a small battery bank/recharger. Almost all of my stuff now uses built-in Li batteries. I don't need to use the battery bank often, but it works with phone/wahoo. Just like carrying spare AA batteries.
mm - i don't consider it quite the same personally.
either you recharge - not exactly handy.
Of if the device will run off a plugged in powerbank, yes, that will work - but potential issues of weather/water or damage to the input on the device.
USB I think was designed for desk use, not on a bouncing bike.

Mark pallister

I would say battery’s failing after two years are not the norm
I’ve got 5yr old garmin still going strong
how about smart watches or phones how are you going to squeeze your AAs into them ?

well phones a bit different - and I wouldn't use one mounted on a bike so the application/stresses on it aren't the same. My smartphone only gets minimal use. I prefer to use a tab for internet stuff. Usually have a 7 inch one in the panniers. Sometimes carry an 11inch chromebook.
I wouldn't have a "smart" watch given to me.
I also carry a "dumb" mobile.

Mark pallister

well phones a bit different - and I wouldn't use one mounted on a bike so the application/stresses on it aren't the same. My smartphone only gets minimal use. I prefer to use a tab for internet stuff. Usually have a 7 inch one in the panniers. Sometimes carry an 11inch chromebook.
I wouldn't have a "smart" watch given to me.
I also carry a "dumb" mobile.
I presume the people that design cycle computers take the stresses they are likely to encounter into account
I would be more worried about a chrome book bouncing around in my panniers then something that has actually been designed for the purpose
I rode downhill bikes for many years with a garmin on the bars without any problems
so what your saying is you wouldn’t have anything with a sealed battery in apart from a phone or a tablet or a chrome book ?

I presume the people that design cycle computers take the stresses they are likely to encounter into account
I would be more worried about a chrome book bouncing around in my panniers then something that has actually been designed for the purpose
I rode downhill bikes for many years with a garmin on the bars without any problems
so what your saying is you wouldn’t have anything with a sealed battery in apart from a phone or a tablet or a chrome book ?
to clarify I was referring to stresses to the garmin usb input from having a powerbank plugged into it to get round power issues. I have no doubt that the garmin itself will be rugged enough. I use a garmin (albeit with AA rechargaebles) - tough old thing. I have little fear about the chromebook - tough things, no nonsense like hard discs, it is triple padded when in a pannier.

Top Bottom