Wahoo Elemnt Battery Replacement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
The rechargeable stuff normally last year's. I have a Garmin that must be six years old. No problem with battery at all. Sometimes they do fail. As my wahoo did. I have had normal batteries fail. But have never been refunded for them. Wahoo seem to look after there customers. So no complaints from me.

As regards built in batteries vs loose ones I'd think it's a case of swings and roundabouts.

When a built in battery fails, the unit is toast. In fairness, that rarely happens. The real exposure to stress is the mini/micro USB connection if using a powerbank or dynamo.

On the other hand, with replaceable batteries there is always the wear and tear on the opening and springs or whatever hold the batteries in place.

As with everything people will have different preferences.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is always possible to get a duff battery... The remote control for my TV soundbar started playing up. It seemed likely that the battery was running down so I bought a new one (a flat CR3032 'coin-style' battery). The new battery didn't help so I came to the conclusion that the battery contacts were probably not making a good connection. I bent them tighter against the battery, and pushed it in while pressing buttons on the remote. Sometimes it worked, usually it didn't. More contact bending...

It eventually dawned on me that the replacement battery might have been faulty so I replaced it with a 3rd battery. The remote control now works perfectly every time!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Battery life on rechargeables can/is very good in my experience. I have a Lezyne front light which I paid £75 for in 2011. It's as good as new.

On the other hand battery life for phones and Garmins is nowhere near good enough.

OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
On the other hand battery life for phones and Garmins is nowhere near good enough.
Personally, I would rather have a slightly bigger phone/cycle computer, which would have a higher capacity internal battery. However, manufacturers all seem obsessed with making things as small/thin as possible.

Mark pallister

Personally, I would rather have a slightly bigger phone/cycle computer, which would have a higher capacity internal battery. However, manufacturers all seem obsessed with making things as small/thin as possible.
My wahoo will do 16hrs with a hr monitor a power meter and a garmin radar connected
more than enough for your average ride I would have thought

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My wahoo will do 16hrs with a hr monitor a power meter and a garmin radar connected
more than enough for your average ride I would have thought
Is that promised by the manufacturer or actually measured? I wouldn't believe the former.

It's OK but not ideal. I do ride longer than that from time to time. People I know ride much longer. But that said, on those rides there are generally a few breaks that may possibly be used for recharging.

Mark pallister

Is that promised by the manufacturer or actually measured? I wouldn't believe the former.

It's OK but not ideal. I do ride longer than that from time to time. People I know ride much longer. But that said, on those rides there are generally a few breaks that may possibly be used for recharging.
Actually tested a few times ,not all on one ride though

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My cousin used a Garmin Edge 500 for years but then gave it to me when he bought a Wahoo. I have used the 500 on some of my longer forum rides and still manage to get about 12 hours from it. I have a small powerbank that I could carry to recharge it but can't be bothered to. I always have a second GPS on the bike with a 24-30 hour battery life (old Garmin Etrex) and only use the 500 for logging rides and to display stats. I'm not bothered if it conks out 30 minutes before the end of the ride.

si_c

Guru
Modern LiPo battery life is dependent upon the number of full recharge cycles and how the battery is designed will affect that. A bike computer which you recharge infrequently might last a decade before the battery starts to degrade, but if you use is every day and recharge it frequently maybe a year perhaps two is not unreasonable.

Batteries are getting better at dealing with charge cycles as the technology improves, but you cannot blame a device manufacturer for what is a known limitation of battery technology.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
I've just ordered a Elemnt bundle from Wahoo. They've an offer on. Includes speed, cadence and HR sensors. Looking forward to trying it out. Last used a 520 which was good but just a bit OK.

Noel S

Briliant. Used for forst time today, I knew the route we where doing, but put the roam through it's pacess. It took me to where the ride started from, I deliberetly went of course, it showed me how to get back on route, Turn lights showed me wich way to turn, there where some red lights came on don't know what they ment, will have to google that, But i am well impressed so far, A nice upgrade from the Elempt. And for free. Wahoo after sales is good.:okay:
My Elemnt developed battery problems after 18 months. Wahoo refused to help as I had bought the item on EBAY. Supposedly not an authorised seller even though unit was new and unopened. I asked if they provided warranty on units being sold by Amazon market place and they refused to answer.

Wahoo obviously make a rubbish product and look for excuses to avoid replacing. Rubbish company.

Noel S

I've just ordered a Elemnt bundle from Wahoo. They've an offer on. Includes speed, cadence and HR sensors. Looking forward to trying it out. Last used a 520 which was good but just a bit OK.
Good luck! I hope you do not use Element often as battery life is awful after 18 months.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
My Elemnt developed battery problems after 18 months. Wahoo refused to help as I had bought the item on EBAY. Supposedly not an authorised seller even though unit was new and unopened. I asked if they provided warranty on units being sold by Amazon market place and they refused to answer.

Wahoo obviously make a rubbish product and look for excuses to avoid replacing. Rubbish company.
Buy from a proper retailer. Then no problem.

Mark pallister

My wahoo kickr climb developed a fault on a Saturday,I emailed wahoo
first thing Monday morning I received a reply to my mail ,I explained the problem and they posted a replacement part which arrived on the Wednesday morning
job done
youd struggle to get better service than that
buy from a proper retailer and you’d have no problem

Top Bottom