Wahoo Elemnt Roam wont update firmware

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Two-Wheels

Hopefully I'm in the right spot with my first post.

I bought a Wahoo ROAM not that long ago and while it works fine enough and I'm happy with it (even if the Bolt v2 did come out 1 week later - grr) I just cannot get it to update the firmware.

I've had a gander online and followed Wahoo's own advice and nothing seems to be working. I've fired up the Roam on its own (as in no companion app open) and gone in to System Info - check for updates which it does (check) for a short while before deciding it's no good and wont update. I've also tried to update via the (Android) companion app which gets the screen on the Roam itself flitting between Check for Updates & Please Wait before finally deciding it's not going to update. I've also then tried with the companion app on an iPhone. Same issue although with the iPhone I quickly get a retry option on the main screen - which obviously doesn't work.

The WiFi is my home WiFi.

While on the topic of the Roam, I had a little issue with it in that i removed all the maps from it and went to install only the England map. At this point the device said I had over 2GB available. 2.6GB i think. Anyway the companion app said 0 free space for maps which is odd since it only took MB, not GB for the England map.

I tried again but this time with the iPhone companion app and that would actually let me install the map - but like I said, the iPhone companion app also wont let me update firmware.

It's brand new bought direct from Wahoo with the sensor bundle so I don't imagine it's faulty but at this moment in time I have to call it faulty.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

In case anyone finds this with a Google search then I was finally able to work my way around it.

The key was a second mobile phone & turning on mobile data hotspot.

Not sure why I can't update over my home WiFi but the main thing is one way or another I can get it updated I suppose.

kenmiles

In case anyone finds this with a Google search then I was finally able to work my way around it.

The key was a second mobile phone & turning on mobile data hotspot.

Not sure why I can't update over my home WiFi but the main thing is one way or another I can get it updated I suppose.
Perhaps your home wifi is on 5G. That will not work.

OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

I think I may have just found the issue then.

When I access the router:

Part of Wahoo's response to me:

• ELEMNT/BOLT/ROAM only connect to WiFi channels 1 - 9. Though most WiFi routers will auto-select a channel from 1 - 9, on some routers, particularly those in the UK and EU, it's possible for the channel to be set outside this range manually. Please check your router settings following manufacturer instructions.

Yet when I click on the Wireless section of the thumbnail, the channel under 2.4GHz is listed as channel 11, specifically "Smart (channel 11)".

Top Bottom