Wahoo Elemnt v Garmin Edge Explore?

Wahoo Elemnt vs Garmin Edge Explore

• Wahoo Elemnt

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • Garmin Edge Explore

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I understand that the last update I did was for the unit not the app i've never had to set up the unit to work on my home wifi.
It's always updated via the app so I don't know how it's managed to do it then as it's never done a software update independently of the app. :smile:
Probably off topic at this stage (and I can't really check it now) but under "Settings" in the app there is a sub heading "Wifi network" that will show what the current (and past) WiFi network is.

It's my understanding that when on the road the "new" network password has to be entered here in order to update the unit (not the app).

It is of course possible that this has changed since the last time I had to do this - in other words it automatically takes the necessary data from when you log into the network "normally" outside of the app.
It could also have had something to do with my own phone settings - perhaps I was denying the app suitable access.

I'm fairly sure that when I set up the app the first time I had to set up the wifi too within the app.

In any case, this points to the fact all this tech can behave slightly differently across different systems and uses that a lot of us barely notice.

D

Deleted member 26715

Can anyone actually see any of these screens to navigate with when you're bumping down a road

Can anyone actually see any of these screens to navigate with when you're bumping down a road
I've never had a problem (Elemnt).
It's monochrome so no sunlight issues, minimal mapping detail - I'm following a breadcrumb trail. Has a light for the dark. Easily customisable screen and easy zoom in & out.

Having said all that, it's not like I'm staring at the screen all the time. Usually a glance is enough and it beeps if I go off course.

tom73

Guru
Probably off topic at this stage (and I can't really check it now) but under "Settings" in the app there is a sub heading "Wifi network" that will show what the current (and past) WiFi network is.

It's my understanding that when on the road the "new" network password has to be entered here in order to update the unit (not the app).

It is of course possible that this has changed since the last time I had to do this - in other words it automatically takes the necessary data from when you log into the network "normally" outside of the app.
It could also have had something to do with my own phone settings - perhaps I was denying the app suitable access.

I'm fairly sure that when I set up the app the first time I had to set up the wifi too within the app.

In any case, this points to the fact all this tech can behave slightly differently across different systems and uses that a lot of us barely notice.

I only update it at home so you maybe right can't remember what I did at set up. Guess it shows how often you need to do a fresh set when it go's really wrong :smile:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've owned a Garmin 810 and currently use a Wahoo Elemnt. The Wahoo is vastly superior to the Garmin in every use I have needed.

For me the key differences are No.1 the Wahoo's simplicity and secondly I believe it was designed specifically for it's purpose. The Garmin always struck me as being run by some rather poor software which had been adapted from elsewhere and constantly creaked with all the add on "benefits" Garmin gave us.

Ultimately Garmin was the market leader, became lazy, got blindsided by Wahoo and is now struggling to keep up.

My one word of caution would be the Elemnt has a black and white screen and good definition under all conditions. The Roam has a colour screen and it would be worth knowing if the definition is as good.

If I can bump this as I have similar requirements - don't use power meters, - I currently have the edge touring which is mostly fine for me - but I would like to use

HR strap
Garmin varia radar

In terms of tick boxes - its the edge explore - but for some reason I m drawn to towards towards the elemnt. But reading around I can't help think some of the favorable wahoo reviews are from those who want to give garmin a good kickin !

One thing I don't like about my current touring is that it is unreliable when following a course - I'm crap at navigating and find getting lost pretty easy !!! - I also hate 'Apps' - my heart sinks everytime I hear "you need to download our app"

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One thing I don't like about my current touring is that it is unreliable when following a course -
I dont seem to have that trouble with my Touring. Day long Audax and rides, long tours in Spain and France and it never missed a beat navigating wise. When it decides to throw a fit and just turn it self off once in a blue moon.. well that's another story.

PK99

Legendary Member
I've just "upgraded" from an ancient Garmin 800, to Edge Explore (we also haveand Edge touring plus).

All boxes ticked.
Recording rides.
Navigating Rides plotted with ride with GPS with turn by turn works a dream
Bright clear map sceen
Rides uploaded to Garmin connect instantly via Bluetooth and linked phone
Phone alerts of screen while riding
Easy to set up (ok I know the garmin style)
Useful "battery saver mode" that among other things sleeps the screen while all recording and route following carries on in the background. Come to a turn and screen comes to life, touch the screen and it comes to life.

I'm not interested in power meters, training aids, strava or virtual partners

Top Bottom