Wahoo question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Would you mind explaining the steps to get a cycle.travel planned route into an Elemnt such that turn by turn navigation is possible please?
My 810 has found two new ways to taunt me and it's on borrowed time.

Ok, there are several different ways of getting the cycle.travel file onto the Elemnt.
(Forgive me if some of this comes across as patronising, but I've no idea how technically minded you are :smile:)

First is the file format. Cycle.Travel gives you the choice of different formats - TCX is the format with TBT (as @Heltor Chasca says).
Second, the Wahoo works in conjunction with an app used on a phone or tablet.

If planning on a PC I save the file on cycle.travel, then download it to my P.C. I then email that file to myself. I open the file from the email app in my phone. The phone will prompt me what app to use to open it, I'll select Wahoo and after that everything is automatic.
You can also connect the Elemnt directly to the PC with a usb cable - the PC sees the Elemnt as an external disk - and transfer the file over as I'd transfer any other file. (It's also possible to connect an android phone directly to the unit, but that's a whole other story.)

Another alternative is to save the route in my cycle.travel account, then on my phone access my cycle.travel account and download it directly to my phone. Then I find the file in the downloads folder, click on it and follow the previous steps.
Of course, this works too if I plan a route on my phone. Not practical, unless a simple from to route.

An aside on file naming. I prefer to save my file and rename it on the PC, then email that. Otherwise file names start with cycle.travel in the name and can be confusing on the device.

As a further aside, be careful when planning a route in cycle.travel and transferring that to RWGPS (or any other app) for Turn by Turn directions. I'm no expert, but my understanding is that a conversion process occurs when importing the route, so that if RWGPS does not recognise a road that cycle.travel uses there could be an issue when you hit that point on your route. It's probably not an issue if planning on well used routes, but can be an issue on unfamiliar roads or less well used paths.

While RWGPS is great for sharing routes, if you and your brother share a cycle.travel account you can both download the same route.

Ok, there are several different ways of getting the cycle.travel file onto the Elemnt.
(Forgive me if some of this comes across as patronising, but I've no idea how technically minded you are :smile:)
<Big snip>

Many thanks for the detailed reply. Not patronising at all, I think it wise not to assume too much.

I must admit I always check my routes carefully on the PC. Quite often odd things are caused by map errors amongst other things.

My routes in C.T are all public, so I just send my brother the URL and he can save it to his account.

Using a phone and / or tablet is something I do need to practice.

gmw492

Veteran
Against my better judgement I bought a Garmin edge 830 and after quite a few rides I can safely say it's exactly what all their other units should have been.

They've clearly (finally) significantly updated the processor as it's incredibly fast when zooming in and out of maps, is far faster at calculating routes uploaded (as in, it's done a 50 mile ride in less than 13 seconds).

The font is much cleaner and easier to read, it's got the appearance almost of a Kindle with the backlight on. The route is much cleaner on the map and had been easy to read even cycling in Spain these last few days.

The screen is also much better at reacting to touch, apparently it's much better with gloves now too though I haven't tested that yet. I also haven't tested wether rain affects it in any way, I know some had issues with the 820 with this.

My biggest issue with the 820 was battery life. With everything turned off save for gps, speed and cadence sensors my battery would run out while navigating within about 6-7 hours. 2 replacements hardly faired better.

I did a 6 hour ride yesterday in 30 degree heat with GPS and GLONASS on, speed cadence sensors connected and my phone's Bluetooth connected and I finished the ride with 84% battery life remaining.

I can't stress how much of a step up Garmin have made with this product. Imo the 800 was ok tho had fits occasionally, froze a couple of times and took ages with loading routes. The 810 my mate had seems to be a complete mess all round. The 820 was beyond frustrating with touch issues, small screen that was either hyper sensitive or lacked sensitivity depending on it's mood, slow performance on maps and loading routes and ridiculous battery life.

I'll try upload a video when I get home on Saturday of this things speed, but I'd recommend for those wanting a navigation bike computer to go in a shop and try it out, it's really very very good.
Bit late to this post , how do you find the 830 now, is the touchscreen ok especially with gloves on , the reason I ask is I had the 530 which had a few issues when updating I had to reinstall it after some updates, the buttons on the fly are ok but setting up in menu the buttons are a long way around to setting up screens where as the touchscreen looks more easier and quicker, on the fly I didn’t mind the buttons scrolling though the custom screens, I decided to sell it and got a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, so easy to set up and use but like the Apple v Android debate its what system you prefer and I do miss the Garmin screen and features just because that’s all I have been used too, now I’m thinking of getting the Garmin 830 or even another 530 if the 830 isn’t worth the extra money for the touchscreen and then just put my 530 experience to a blip of a unit , other Garmins I had worked fine , dilemma :wacko:

stuarttunstall

I went for the ELMNT bundle almost 2 years ago, it is great, this was my first computer for the bike and reading recommendations I went for it...

Support from Wahoo is good as well... I did ask the question my self and was told by there support the speed sensor does improve the accuracy..

One question on the ELMNT how long does your battery last between charges? With the HRM, SPeed and cadence sensors attached I get about 10 hours from a full charge..

gmw492

Veteran
I went for the ELMNT bundle almost 2 years ago, it is great, this was my first computer for the bike and reading recommendations I went for it...

Support from Wahoo is good as well... I did ask the question my self and was told by there support the speed sensor does improve the accuracy..

One question on the ELMNT how long does your battery last between charges? With the HRM, SPeed and cadence sensors attached I get about 10 hours from a full charge..
Only been out with it a couple of times as it’s new , I just usually charge my device before each ride , reviews say it’s similar with Garmin . Didn’t notice any major loss of battery, Wahoo great to set up via phone just I’m used to Garmin interface and screen is better on Garmin , but yes Wahoo is good

Sillyoldman

Veteran
I had a Garmin 800 for about 7 years and I have to say it was really reliable. From other reports maybe I was just lucky. Anyhow I decided to go for an 830 and as Nomadski has said the processor speed is now very fast and to date (after 9 months) this has been reliable also. I did have an itch to try Wahoo given all the positive plaudits but on balance I’m glad I stuck with Garmin. One thing I really like (maybe wahoo also does this) is once you pin a route on ride with gps on your pc you can open the app on the Garmin and wirelessly down load it to the GPS. That and the fantastic integration to the varidar sells it to me. That said I believe Wahoo can now connect to the Garmin varidar.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Bit late to this post , how do you find the 830 now, is the touchscreen ok especially with gloves on , the reason I ask is I had the 530 which had a few issues when updating I had to reinstall it after some updates, the buttons on the fly are ok but setting up in menu the buttons are a long way around to setting up screens where as the touchscreen looks more easier and quicker, on the fly I didn’t mind the buttons scrolling though the custom screens, I decided to sell it and got a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, so easy to set up and use but like the Apple v Android debate its what system you prefer and I do miss the Garmin screen and features just because that’s all I have been used too, now I’m thinking of getting the Garmin 830 or even another 530 if the 830 isn’t worth the extra money for the touchscreen and then just put my 530 experience to a blip of a unit , other Garmins I had worked fine , dilemma :wacko:

Seeing as the weather God has been very kind to us, I still haven't tried it with gloves on, but unlike before I have tried it in the rain and it was as responsive to touch as it was dry. Battery life is still as good as it was when I wrote my previous posts, I don't think I've ever dropped below 80% after lengthy rides with all the features enabled (sensors, bluetooth, accident notification, phone notifications, GPS + Glonass, navigation, live tracking).

As for 530 v 830 my limited knowledge of the 530 is that its the same unit but without the capability to route on the fly (like take me to cafe / home / bike shop) and no touchscreen. Beyond that I don't think there;s much difference apart from the price. For me the touchscreen is worth it, YMMV.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Seeing as the weather God has been very kind to us, I still haven't tried it with gloves on, but unlike before I have tried it in the rain and it was as responsive to touch as it was dry. Battery life is still as good as it was when I wrote my previous posts, I don't think I've ever dropped below 80% after lengthy rides with all the features enabled (sensors, bluetooth, accident notification, phone notifications, GPS + Glonass, navigation, live tracking).

As for 530 v 830 my limited knowledge of the 530 is that its the same unit but without the capability to route on the fly (like take me to cafe / home / bike shop) and no touchscreen. Beyond that I don't think there;s much difference apart from the price. For me the touchscreen is worth it, YMMV.
I love my 830. I’m not sure if all gloves are the same or not, but my full finger DHB gloves change screen ok. Maybe they have to have touch screen finger pads and I have just been lucky they do. Must see if I can google it and find out.

Yes, on checking they say touch screen compatible finger tips. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-lightweight-cycling-gloves/

Top Bottom