Wahoo Roam died….what to get next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingrollo

Legendary Member
I switched from Garmin to wahoo. Currently have the roam v2. I think if I'm buying again I'd go back to Garmin.

I hate the ride paused message covers half the screen - I mean when you pause is when you may take a quick look at ride stats.

I also have a few weird gps issues on my wahoo - once it recorded my max speed as 66mph. - another it started a ride from work when I started the ride from home (can only assume it got the location from my phone)



With the ANT+ standard not being developed - Id buy back in the bigger to Garmin eco system.
 

nogoodnamesleft

Senior Member
I've no idea about Wahoo functionality these days but one feature od the touring Garmin versions I find particularly valuable is their ability to create and turn-by-turn direct a route completely offline.

I've used it for 1 month (of a 2 month tour) for too long to explain here reasons but the routes it creates are not as great as eg cycle.travel but are fine and appropriate for cycline.

I use cycle.travel each evening (for a route for the next day) but the Garmin local/offline route creation is a useful backup when in no mobile coverage and no WiFi.

I'm not even sure which Garmin Edge devices include the capability but I've been 1030/1040/1050 which do.
 
OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Legendary Member
Location
Leicester
I can't say 100% if they still offer this, but if you wanted to stick with a Wahoo, they certainly used to replace them for free outside of the warranty if you had original proof of purchase. Even if you have no PoP, they may still offer a discount. I got 50% off a brand new Bolt when my screen died last year.

Contact Wahoo support if you are interested, explain what has happened and see what they say.

Interesting thought….tbh, on a device almost 6 years old, I wouldn’t expect anything..but I could check if I have purchase information.

I’m not desperately tied to Wahoo: rarely look back at the data. Just want it to work reliably on the run & hook into the Garmin Varia
It is important for me to be able to create maps using cycle.travel, & easily move them to the device 🙏
Nice to have a “reroute” option.

I am not too demanding on it 🤷‍♂️
 

Dogtrousers

Lefty tighty. Get it righty.
Absolutely no evidence of this. I've heard of far more issues with Garmin than just about any other make. Obviously lots of them about but plenty of problems as well.

Yeah, the current crop of devices are all worlds away from the bike GPS of the early 2010s that had all the processing power of a tamagotchi and the battery life of a Never Ready lamp.

I think whatever you get these days you'll be pleased with it. We've never had it so good.

And that's coming from a Garmin fanboy with a museum of over a quarter of a century of Garmin devices.
 
Top Bottom