Wahoo Roam

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Understood, thx.
& I get this kind of thing can be almost a religious war - I'm happy to learn from other folks views.

For my part, I would broadly expect to do all the planning either on laptop at home, or perhaps on the hoof on my mobile - I don't really expect the 'bike-nav' to do too much more than keep me on route, & if I stray from it, re-route me as smartly as possible. I'd like a decent battery life (10+ 'real-world' hours).
Right now I *feel* like a Roam is leading the pack for *me*, & I have a feeling a dedicated device makes sense....
.... although I also wonder if there could just be a good phone app - with a USB battery, that could work too.
I feel Hobbes makes some very good points in his last two messages. The only one I would question is the love/hate relationship, it certainly didn't apply to me. I didn't want to buy a new device and gave the Garmin every chance before I ditched it. I did full resets, a very, very careful set up with far more experience than when I first got it but with no success. Eventually I did another full factory reset, switched off every function bar navigation and recording. As I recall this worked but battery life was by now only 4.5 hours. Over something like 3+ years my experience with the Garmin was simply very poor. I'm not anti-Garmin per se as I have a Vivoactive HR which hasn't missed a beat in three years. It's simply their GPS units don't cut it for me.

Wahoo though is simplicity itself and hasn't missed a beat either. My Elemnt has given me real world battery life since the last charge on Sunday of 11 hours 29 using record and navigation, I still have 17% left. I can squeeze more out by switching off at stops but usually forget!

I route using RWGPS on my laptop. I've never understood why one would need the GPS unit to route as well though I understand why on tour it could be useful. If needed a can route on the RWGPS mobile app and send it straight to the Wahoo.

The Elemnt doesn't re-route but has a flashing red light for ¹/4 mile after missing a turn. I reckon if I don't see this I deserve to get lost. The Garmin used to beep a couple of times and if it bothered to re- route generally did it badly.

I'm no evangelist for Wahoo but can say this. I'm delighted with mine, friends have thanked me for giving them the recommendation and everyone I ride with likes their Wahoo.

broady

Über Member
I've never actually used the 1030 (but know people that have them).
I've had all 4 of the Wahoo range and with Garmin I have had 25, 130, 200, 500, 510, 520, 800, 810, 820, 1000 & 1000 explore
My favourite wahoo is the bolt and out of the Garmin i like the 130 & 820.
The roam mapping was shocking and I've had a lot more software issues with Wahoo than I've ever had with Garmin.
I mainly use the Wahoo bolt still, unless I need maps and then I use the 820. If the kids didn't claim the 130's I'd use one of them instead of the bolt

Mark pallister

I've never actually used the 1030 (but know people that have them).
I've had all 4 of the Wahoo range and with Garmin I have had 25, 130, 200, 500, 510, 520, 800, 810, 820, 1000 & 1000 explore
My favourite wahoo is the bolt and out of the Garmin i like the 130 & 820.
The roam mapping was shocking and I've had a lot more software issues with Wahoo than I've ever had with Garmin.
I mainly use the Wahoo bolt still, unless I need maps and then I use the 820. If the kids didn't claim the 130's I'd use one of them instead of the bolt
My favourite wahoo is the roam but I agree the pick of the garmin is the little 130
only let down by its battery life

OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Über Member
Right....I have a Wahoo Roam (hurrah!). Nice feel to it, only had one ride so far but like the display :okay:

Any idea HOW to get routes from cycle.travel to it? @HobbesOnTour, I bet you have some ideas!
FWIW, I have an iPhone.....found this thread on cycle.travel which mentioned android files.
I can see how to with RideWithGPS, but unless I go premium, I can see that I can't upload my gpx files from cycle.travel to it. Maybe I will end up having to pay for that.
I can see I can link to dropbox....but not sure if I can make use of that.
Cannot see any partner app with cycle.travel in the companion iPhone app
Downloading OsmAnd Maps to see if that could help me.

Technically challenged techie :wacko: :laugh:

Right....I have a Wahoo Roam (hurrah!). Nice feel to it, only had one ride so far but like the display :okay:

Any idea HOW to get routes from cycle.travel to it? @HobbesOnTour, I bet you have some ideas!
FWIW, I have an iPhone.....found this thread on cycle.travel which mentioned android files.
I can see how to with RideWithGPS, but unless I go premium, I can see that I can't upload my gpx files from cycle.travel to it. Maybe I will end up having to pay for that.
I can see I can link to dropbox....but not sure if I can make use of that.
Cannot see any partner app with cycle.travel in the companion iPhone app
Downloading OsmAnd Maps to see if that could help me.

Technically challenged techie :wacko: :laugh:
From phone or a computer?

On a phone download the gpx/tcx file from cycle.travel.
(You may want to edit the name at this point).
Once on your phone click on the downloaded file and when it asks you what program to use select Wahoo App.
Once in the app just select the route to send it to the device.
Job done.

I'm presuming it is something similar for iphone. If the storage structure is different, email the downloaded file to yourself. Then click on the attachment in the email and select the Wahoo app.

Note: Even if the file is already on your phone, you will need internet connectivity to import the file into the app.

Note 2: You don't need to pay to use cycle.travel, however, for a small operation, uk based, where it's possible to chat to the operator, a small donation, once off, or regular sub will help it develop.

Note 3 Osmand won't help, but is a useful app to have on the phone. With downloaded maps, it is one of few planners that will work offline and allow you to save a gpx file to be used on your Roam.

Note 4. It's not clear if you want to create a file in cycle.travel, upload to RWGPS and then onto your device?
Be careful of alternating between 2 or more planners. They don't always see the same route.

OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Über Member
Thanks for the super-fast reply!
That does look like it works - use dropbox, send to wahoo app, then select :okay:

Note 4 - I don't really mind - I like the planning in cycle.travel, but if it becomes easier to sync direct from RideWithGPS, maybe I need to look closer at that again (my 'existing' maps were from 5 years back when I last used it!).
I get what you say about alternating. Hopefully moving GPX files between them doesn't royally break things:wacko:

OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Über Member
Well, I had too many jobs to do at the weekend, so didn’t manage to get out for a test on the Wahoo until today, & then just an hour.....but what a superb device!
Planned a local run around some bits I’ve don’t normally cycle....tested out going ”off piste”. Does a decent job re-routing. Love the way indicates turns ahead :notworthy:
Overall, after the worlds shortest test: a decent gadget :okay:

Top Bottom