Wahoo Roam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Understood, thx.
& I get this kind of thing can be almost a religious war - I'm happy to learn from other folks views.

For my part, I would broadly expect to do all the planning either on laptop at home, or perhaps on the hoof on my mobile - I don't really expect the 'bike-nav' to do too much more than keep me on route, & if I stray from it, re-route me as smartly as possible. I'd like a decent battery life (10+ 'real-world' hours).
Right now I *feel* like a Roam is leading the pack for *me*, & I have a feeling a dedicated device makes sense....
.... although I also wonder if there could just be a good phone app - with a USB battery, that could work too.

I feel Hobbes makes some very good points in his last two messages. The only one I would question is the love/hate relationship, it certainly didn't apply to me. I didn't want to buy a new device and gave the Garmin every chance before I ditched it. I did full resets, a very, very careful set up with far more experience than when I first got it but with no success. Eventually I did another full factory reset, switched off every function bar navigation and recording. As I recall this worked but battery life was by now only 4.5 hours. Over something like 3+ years my experience with the Garmin was simply very poor. I'm not anti-Garmin per se as I have a Vivoactive HR which hasn't missed a beat in three years. It's simply their GPS units don't cut it for me.

Wahoo though is simplicity itself and hasn't missed a beat either. My Elemnt has given me real world battery life since the last charge on Sunday of 11 hours 29 using record and navigation, I still have 17% left. I can squeeze more out by switching off at stops but usually forget!

I route using RWGPS on my laptop. I've never understood why one would need the GPS unit to route as well though I understand why on tour it could be useful. If needed a can route on the RWGPS mobile app and send it straight to the Wahoo.

The Elemnt doesn't re-route but has a flashing red light for ¹/4 mile after missing a turn. I reckon if I don't see this I deserve to get lost. The Garmin used to beep a couple of times and if it bothered to re- route generally did it badly.

I'm no evangelist for Wahoo but can say this. I'm delighted with mine, friends have thanked me for giving them the recommendation and everyone I ride with likes their Wahoo.

broady

Veteran
I've never actually used the 1030 (but know people that have them).
I've had all 4 of the Wahoo range and with Garmin I have had 25, 130, 200, 500, 510, 520, 800, 810, 820, 1000 & 1000 explore
My favourite wahoo is the bolt and out of the Garmin i like the 130 & 820.
The roam mapping was shocking and I've had a lot more software issues with Wahoo than I've ever had with Garmin.
I mainly use the Wahoo bolt still, unless I need maps and then I use the 820. If the kids didn't claim the 130's I'd use one of them instead of the bolt

Mark pallister

I've never actually used the 1030 (but know people that have them).
I've had all 4 of the Wahoo range and with Garmin I have had 25, 130, 200, 500, 510, 520, 800, 810, 820, 1000 & 1000 explore
My favourite wahoo is the bolt and out of the Garmin i like the 130 & 820.
The roam mapping was shocking and I've had a lot more software issues with Wahoo than I've ever had with Garmin.
I mainly use the Wahoo bolt still, unless I need maps and then I use the 820. If the kids didn't claim the 130's I'd use one of them instead of the bolt
My favourite wahoo is the roam but I agree the pick of the garmin is the little 130
only let down by its battery life

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Right....I have a Wahoo Roam (hurrah!). Nice feel to it, only had one ride so far but like the display :okay:

Any idea HOW to get routes from cycle.travel to it? @HobbesOnTour, I bet you have some ideas!
FWIW, I have an iPhone.....found this thread on cycle.travel which mentioned android files.
I can see how to with RideWithGPS, but unless I go premium, I can see that I can't upload my gpx files from cycle.travel to it. Maybe I will end up having to pay for that.
I can see I can link to dropbox....but not sure if I can make use of that.
Cannot see any partner app with cycle.travel in the companion iPhone app
Downloading OsmAnd Maps to see if that could help me.

Technically challenged techie :wacko: :laugh:

Right....I have a Wahoo Roam (hurrah!). Nice feel to it, only had one ride so far but like the display :okay:

Any idea HOW to get routes from cycle.travel to it? @HobbesOnTour, I bet you have some ideas!
FWIW, I have an iPhone.....found this thread on cycle.travel which mentioned android files.
I can see how to with RideWithGPS, but unless I go premium, I can see that I can't upload my gpx files from cycle.travel to it. Maybe I will end up having to pay for that.
I can see I can link to dropbox....but not sure if I can make use of that.
Cannot see any partner app with cycle.travel in the companion iPhone app
Downloading OsmAnd Maps to see if that could help me.

Technically challenged techie :wacko: :laugh:
From phone or a computer?

On a phone download the gpx/tcx file from cycle.travel.
(You may want to edit the name at this point).
Once on your phone click on the downloaded file and when it asks you what program to use select Wahoo App.
Once in the app just select the route to send it to the device.
Job done.

I'm presuming it is something similar for iphone. If the storage structure is different, email the downloaded file to yourself. Then click on the attachment in the email and select the Wahoo app.

Note: Even if the file is already on your phone, you will need internet connectivity to import the file into the app.

Note 2: You don't need to pay to use cycle.travel, however, for a small operation, uk based, where it's possible to chat to the operator, a small donation, once off, or regular sub will help it develop.

Note 3 Osmand won't help, but is a useful app to have on the phone. With downloaded maps, it is one of few planners that will work offline and allow you to save a gpx file to be used on your Roam.

Note 4. It's not clear if you want to create a file in cycle.travel, upload to RWGPS and then onto your device?
Be careful of alternating between 2 or more planners. They don't always see the same route.

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Thanks for the super-fast reply!
That does look like it works - use dropbox, send to wahoo app, then select :okay:

Note 4 - I don't really mind - I like the planning in cycle.travel, but if it becomes easier to sync direct from RideWithGPS, maybe I need to look closer at that again (my 'existing' maps were from 5 years back when I last used it!).
I get what you say about alternating. Hopefully moving GPX files between them doesn't royally break things:wacko:

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Well, I had too many jobs to do at the weekend, so didn’t manage to get out for a test on the Wahoo until today, & then just an hour.....but what a superb device!
Planned a local run around some bits I’ve don’t normally cycle....tested out going ”off piste”. Does a decent job re-routing. Love the way indicates turns ahead :notworthy:
Overall, after the worlds shortest test: a decent gadget :okay:

gmw492

Veteran
Moved to the wahoo bolt from garmin 530 last year, impressed with the set up and no problems so far with uploading rides, garmin had a few issues, find the bolt slightly small for my eyes and garmin screen was bigger, unsure if I should get the Roam for the bigger screen or chance going back to a Garmin 530 or maybe 830 , the Roam seems to have a few issues I have read, unsure :wacko:

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
What are the issues you’ve read about the Roam?

I’ve only used mine for a dozen rides, around 250miles in total so far - I’m more of a fair weather leisure cyclist - but I still think it is brilliant :okay:

I’ve deliberately done a few bits where I don’t follow the route to see how it catches up....the turn indicating leds work a treat. I’ve got used to the bleeping now (you can easily mute it on the move if you know the route).
Longest was 50, an elapsed 5.5hrs (yes, I really am quite slow: typically average about 11mph) and the roam had used 30% of battery.
Being a ”hi-tech, slow techie”, I’ve just invested in a Garmin Varia 515, which gets great reviews, and sounds like it works well with the Wahoo. Waiting for it to be delivered to find out if I’ve thrown money down the drain :laugh:

Plenty of comparisons out there, I guess. Here’s the first I found: many of the comments suggest lots agree the Wahoo “wins”.
I bought mine based on reviews (& a pal who had used Garmin for some time and moved to the Bolt....& raved about it)

gmw492

Veteran
What are the issues you’ve read about the Roam?

I’ve only used mine for a dozen rides, around 250miles in total so far - I’m more of a fair weather leisure cyclist - but I still think it is brilliant :okay:

I’ve deliberately done a few bits where I don’t follow the route to see how it catches up....the turn indicating leds work a treat. I’ve got used to the bleeping now (you can easily mute it on the move if you know the route).
Longest was 50, an elapsed 5.5hrs (yes, I really am quite slow: typically average about 11mph) and the roam had used 30% of battery.
Being a ”hi-tech, slow techie”, I’ve just invested in a Garmin Varia 515, which gets great reviews, and sounds like it works well with the Wahoo. Waiting for it to be delivered to find out if I’ve thrown money down the drain :laugh:

Plenty of comparisons out there, I guess. Here’s the first I found: many of the comments suggest lots agree the Wahoo “wins”.
I bought mine based on reviews (& a pal who had used Garmin for some time and moved to the Bolt....& raved about it)
Yes I find the bolt good , just a bit small , seen on YouTube that navigation wasn’t the best on the Roam, but then seen another that said it was great , does it have turn by turn on Strava routes? Think Garmin does , I did like the Garmin Screen but the pairing and connect app was frustrating sometimes, when it worked it was good but Garmin decides to have it’s buggy moments now and then , the 830 is similar in price, I’ve got the Rear Garmin Radar light it’s paired well with the bolt, just undecided

seen on YouTube that navigation wasn’t the best on the Roam, but then seen another that said it was great ,

"Navigation" is often misunderstood when people talk about cycling gps units.
If I create a poor route on a planner and then try to follow it using a unit the problem is not the unit. The problem is the route!

Units do not generally create "the best" routes, they simply don't have the processing power. They create "a" route - how it's perceived is up to you.

Relatively recently I upgraded from a Wahoo Elemnt (no on unit navigation) to the Roam (on unit navigation). I'm very far from home (México City) and I'm very impressed with its ability to pick out safe routes "on the fly". It's not perfect, but perfectly usable. Unlike (most) Garmins it does not have an address search function (offline) and its app is pretty poor in that regard too.
In comparison to Komoot, for example, it is streets ahead. Komoot regularly tries to put me on suicide roads.

The trick about getting a good unit is to have a good think about how you will be using it and make sure that the one you buy supports that.

Mark pallister

Hi all,
Thought I might find more, but the search doesn't show me a lot on this unit.
Interested in a "top end" navigational cycle computer, and it appears that the Garmin 1030 and Wahoo Elemnt Roam are the top contenders right now. If anyone knows other decent units, let me know! I used a Teasi 5 years back for a while (& in particular, Lon2Par), and whilst it worked 'okay', it was a little clunky and slow at times.

I have to say i am leaning toward the Roam: I've read a few comparison reviews: many similarities, of course. Sounds like the battery on the Wahoo exceeds the Garmin by quite a bit, and the passing of data between mobile and unit sounds quite a bit easier/slicker.

Anyone used one (particularly the Roam, but happy to hear about either) on multi-day trips able to say how good they are at having maybe 10-30 days of trips stored? Or even up to a week or so. Not found a review that goes to that detail.
Thx
My roam has just been through a full wash cycle in my jersey pocket and emerged fine apart from the temp sensor not working
if it hadn’t I would have bought a new one
best bike computer I’ve ever had ,it’s reliable,good battery life and easy to use
I’ve had loads of garmin and wouldn’t go back

gmw492

Veteran
"Navigation" is often misunderstood when people talk about cycling gps units.
If I create a poor route on a planner and then try to follow it using a unit the problem is not the unit. The problem is the route!

Units do not generally create "the best" routes, they simply don't have the processing power. They create "a" route - how it's perceived is up to you.

Relatively recently I upgraded from a Wahoo Elemnt (no on unit navigation) to the Roam (on unit navigation). I'm very far from home (México City) and I'm very impressed with its ability to pick out safe routes "on the fly". It's not perfect, but perfectly usable. Unlike (most) Garmins it does not have an address search function (offline) and its app is pretty poor in that regard too.
In comparison to Komoot, for example, it is streets ahead. Komoot regularly tries to put me on suicide roads.

The trick about getting a good unit is to have a good think about how you will be using it and make sure that the one you buy supports that.
I have created a couple on strava so thinking would it stick to that route and give turn by turn, sounds good if your impressed with it , need a break from youtube reviews head is spinning with the Roam, 530 ,830, it's mainly the screen ,the Roam is bigger slightly than the other two, but the Bolt just doesn't have comfortable viewing for me, it's not the display it's really good contrast, it's just too small for me personally, the navigation would be an added bonus as I think I would start using it a bit more for exploring, thanks :okay:

I have created a couple on strava so thinking would it stick to that route and give turn by turn, sounds good if your impressed with it , need a break from youtube reviews head is spinning with the Roam, 530 ,830, it's mainly the screen ,the Roam is bigger slightly than the other two, but the Bolt just doesn't have comfortable viewing for me, it's not the display it's really good contrast, it's just too small for me personally, the navigation would be an added bonus as I think I would start using it a bit more for exploring, thanks :okay:
I understand that the Bolt is too small for you. However, as far as I understand, the operating system for the Bolt and Roam is the same.
This means that you can "test" out things like the Strava turn by turn on your bolt. If it works on the Bolt it will work on the Roam.

The Roam will give you a slightly bigger display, some colour and the ability to re-route or navigate on the fly.

As long as you have a data/wifi signal you can create routes on the fly and send them to your Bolt either through the Wahoo app or another planner.
(It's also possible offline but that requires a cable).

I understand the head spinning^_^
Sometimes it's helpful to make a list of features, show which models are compatible and then prioritise according to your needs and preferences.
Like I say, "Navigation" varies from unit to unit, unlike a car sat-nav.

Personally, turn by turn has never been important to me, nor rerouting. I have been able to use the basic Wahoo maps to head in the right direction.
I have no interest in any monitoring.

I got a good deal on a Roam due to a failing Elemnt battery. I'm not sure if I'd consider a full price Roam to be good value for money.
(The Elemnt is the same as the Bolt, only bigger. It may be an option for you if you can find one. They are discontinued).

Top Bottom