Wahoo Tickr Chest Strap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I use the Tickr Chest Strap and have been happy with it to date. However over the last week it's started to give some crazy readings. For example on Sunday I rode for miles with 225bpm and an average of 152 (my max is 172 and I rarely pass 160). I've checked it against a medical grade BP monitor which also shows pulse and the HRM is bang on.

I'm wondering if the probably is connectivity with my skin. I've always simply wetted the skin and the strap contacts.

I wondered if vaseline would be better? Or if there are specific gels available which could give a better connection?

Thanks

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I had exactly the same thing with the TICKR - I replaced the battery which appeared to help but in the end didn't so I got a new strap which solved it immediately. It was a generic eBay or Amazon purchase, not Wahoo-branded and it works perfectly.

Mark pallister

I use the Tickr Chest Strap and have been happy with it to date. However over the last week it's started to give some crazy readings. For example on Sunday I rode for miles with 225bpm and an average of 152 (my max is 172 and I rarely pass 160). I've checked it against a medical grade BP monitor which also shows pulse and the HRM is bang on.

I'm wondering if the probably is connectivity with my skin. I've always simply wetted the skin and the strap contacts.

I wondered if vaseline would be better? Or if there are specific gels available which could give a better connection?

Thanks
As mentioned try a new battery

Tribansman

Veteran
I've had similar issues and it's bloody annoying. Apparently, advice on the wahoo website is to avoid batteries that have a 'bitter coating' (deters nippers from swallowing them) - they mention Duracell, but not sure which other brands have this too. They recommend Panasonic batteries.

It seems to be less problematic if I wet it properly, but this wasnt needed the first few months I had it. Maybe the material has degraded in some way. Infuriating! Think I may follow @figbat's advice and get a new strap...

kenmiles

I've had similar issues and it's bloody annoying. Apparently, advice on the wahoo website is to avoid batteries that have a 'bitter coating' (deters nippers from swallowing them) - they mention Duracell, but not sure which other brands have this too. They recommend Panasonic batteries.

It seems to be less problematic if I wet it properly, but this wasnt needed the first few months I had it. Maybe the material has degraded in some way. Infuriating! Think I may follow @figbat's advice and get a new strap...
That is what I had to do with mine in the end.
I used to lick it but with the new one I always use water as licking it seems to build up salt on the contact pads.

newts

Veteran
You can reset the ticker by inserting the battery the wrong way around for 3 seconds, I was having issues similar to yours & this fixed it. A check for firmware update via the Wahoo app may also help. Mines been in use for almost 5 years, batteries seem to last for ages if you use a good quality CR2032.

figbat

Slippery scientist
You can reset the ticker by inserting the battery the wrong way around for 3 seconds, I was having issues similar to yours & this fixed it. A check for firmware update via the Wahoo app may also help. Mines been in use for almost 5 years, batteries seem to last for ages if you use a good quality CR2032.
Yep, there is a Wahoo utility app that will manage firmware updates etc. In my case I did all the resets and batteries and stuff but in the end it was the strap - apparently not uncommon.

Velochris

Über Member
Agree with the above.

1) Erratic readings tend to be battery related.

2) Buy some ultrasound gel. On really hot days I was finding that after locking the strap and by the time I had faffed around getting the bike rwadyy, shows on... it had dried.

Bought some gel and it does a far better job. Been doing it for a couple of years and still on my first bottle. You do not need much.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks for the help everyone. I've changed the battery to a Varta (B&Q brand) as we have these in the house. All seems good at the moment. @figbat you mention a Wahoo utility app, is this a specific one such as the Wahoo Elemnt or Wahoo Fitness? I have both of these or is there a more an app which simply provides updates?

Many thanks

Top Bottom