Wahoo trainer keeps creaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
The joys of kids smarter than the parents! Here's a link;

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/0JVk8hJgIzE

It only makes that noise when I lean either side more on the saddle if that makes sense

Caperider

I would tighten the legs first and eliminate each area to find it. I hate creaking noises in machinery it like a rattle under my truck drives me crazy!

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
I think some of the problem is that this big wheel works itself slightly loose during a ride allowing the spindle/arm to rattle somewhat. Should it work itself loose in a ride if I am really tightening it albeit with my hands? Now, my videos are gone due to me cancelling that temporary you tube account, arrghh

Attachments

• 20230117_174404.jpg
    20230117_174404.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230117_174407.jpg
    20230117_174407.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
I never used the wahoo skewer i.e I just kept the bike one. Do you think that would make the noise?

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Ok. After a hunt around I found the wahoo skewer. My problem is that the one end is just slightly fatter than my original bike skewer and doesn't fit as far into the trainer snugly as the original, second picture shows as far as it goes in, limited by the size of the other side of the nut. The other end of the skewer is fine and I can see how that is a better fit. Is mixing the ends up better than nothing (third pic) ?

Attachments

• 20230210_095551.jpg
    20230210_095551.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230210_095559.jpg
    20230210_095559.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230210_100154.jpg
    20230210_100154.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 3

BurningLegs

Veteran
The Wahoo skewer is specifically designed to fit in the Wahoo trainer. I’m not sure how/why it could be a worse fit that a third party one.

Skewers for trainers are definitely fatter, and this is one of the key ways that they achieve a better fit.

You shouldn’t necessarily expect the handle part of the skewer to slide all the way in, but you should expect to achieve a very tight and solid fit.

I’m sure you’re aware, but there is a hand screw that draws the non-drive side of the trainer bracket in/out to ensure a tight fit is achieved. If it’s not tight with the Wahoo skewer, use the hand screw to pull the bracket in.

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Thanks, let me revisit then and revert. Anyway even with just one end done the trainer didn't creak once for 90 mins cycling! I'm such a luddite with these things. No wonder I failed everything remotely mechanical at school lol!

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
So yes, there is a very tight fit for the wheel in place which is good but the bolt doesn't go all the way in but if that's not an issue than I'm good with it.

The other thing is the lever when closing either closes or it doesn't (loose or too tight to close) and when you find the last position in which you can close it then it can spring open quite easily even on a light touch. Whereas, with my 'normal' bike skewer, the lever gets tighter and tighter until you find the position you can just close it up. Does that make sense?

Attachments

• bolt not going all the way into the trainer clamp.jpg
    bolt not going all the way into the trainer clamp.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 3
  • lever.jpg
    lever.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom