Waiting for a locksmith

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Would you believe it key stuck in conservatory door,Sunday night.It's my own fault.It has been sticking for months ,so tea time it would not turn it was stuck at the 3-9 position.So you tube tutorial,it's a known problem.Two keys and wiggle,well i put wd 40 in first and left it for an hour.Two keys wiggle,nothing.So try try try again nothing.Better leverage needed grabbed hold tight with a wrench snap.Well i was thinking at first a new lock,but now it does need a new lock,he has just rung 20 mins and he will be here.I'll come back and tell you the cost .

oh dear, hope it isnt too painful, i would imagine the callout alone isnt cheap

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
So he allowed me to watch as he did the job.Which is not finished,because seventeen years ago the pillocks butchered the mech.It has never closed smoothly.So he took the handle off like i had done,he took out the screw under the barrel.then to get it out he snapped it from outside,i thought he might have drilled it.Then we saw six holes which had been drilled in to the metal work so the key could turn,there was plastic from the door and filings from the drilling,it was a mess,there was also a loose clip,i don't know if that was caused by the snapping.so we need the security strip that goes down the length of the door.He has fitted a simple lock and it turned like a knife going through butter.The arse who fitted it seventeen years ago butchered it to get it to work.It does not surprise me cos we had them back to relay the floor and put a better sill on the outside.I know sometimes firms mark up a job,but this guy was ok.So tomorrow we get a new better cylinder lock plus the security strip plus he is going to balance the door which is off balance that's the best i can say,it rubs against the framing as it closes.Our excess is £250 plus if we claim year on year on insurance will go up.So we are paying out a whopping £338 quid.That hurts but what can you do,you have to pay but it has a twelve month guarantee on work,Mrs P is happy so i am also.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
If you will excuse the pun you pay cos they have you over a barrel.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I was charged about a hundred quid by a locksmith when I locked my keys in the house. It took him 3 seconds and he used basically the credit card trick, just with a thinner, more bendy bit of plastic. He looked embarrassed to take the money.

Top Bottom