Waiting for a locksmith

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Its a easy fix snap the key off in the lock and theres a bolt in the side of the door (Pozi) that holds the barrel in take it out and replace with a new barrel

If the key is jammed in the lock, you wouldn't be able to rotate the cam in order to allow you to push/pull the barrel out.

screenman

Legendary Member
I run a Building/joinery company if I tried to charge what a locksmith charges for the length of time they are there
I wouldn't be in business.

Maybe you should retrain, I will be charging upwards of a £100 per hour if you only count times on tools myself at times today.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
He has been and finished the job as he promised.Oh what a faff to get the door and frame square to line up.A few movements of a locking rail in the door frame made sure it now fits snug and secure.What a different movement.A lot of adjusting of the three hinges i did not even know it had the options to alter the angles of the hinges,well why would i.

So let me tell you of this conservatory company.Like i said we had them back to relay the floor and put a new sill on.We even had a rep came to see us,concerning the three workers.So he told us of a customer.This chap had his own company heavy plant contracting.He had a £40,000 job done.he took photos of all the work.Then when they asked for payment he refused.And told them to take it down remove it put his garden back as near to what it had been,before they came.Asked why he produced his photos,they had not put down a damp course ,nothing at all.Nothing under the floor inside the construction.And he told them if they tried to get payment he would take them to court.They did not chase him.So no wonder years later they finished up closing.

I will say on our part i think seventeen years of movement has not helped the shape of the frame.So pulling it out of true.Well it fits better now and closed easier.

When we moved in to our house we had the locks changed in the garage door, front door and french doors. We have a windows and door company come and attempt to do the French door.

The lock was fully operational and could be screwed in and out absolutely fine to release the barrel but the nobbers rounded the head off the screw and had to snap the lock to be able to lock the door again with a temporary lock when adjusting it. I stopped them and threw them off the job before they could do any more damage to the door and finish the job. Next day called a locksmith in who had the correct size barrels, he replaced the rounded off screws, turned out they had messed up all the screws holding the security strip in place. He fixed the security strip they had buggered up and also did the front door and garage door and fitted proper BSA rated locks not some cheap ones that windows and door people attempted to fit (and it was fitted backwards too). Also found out he cleans carpets too so had him round for that too!

Maybe you should retrain, I will be charging upwards of a £100 per hour if you only count times on tools myself at times today.
We do pretty handsomely in regards to pounds shillings and pence.
But retrain as a locksmith, I prefer a good nights sleep.:okay:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I run a Building/joinery company if I tried to charge what a locksmith charges for the length of time they are there
I wouldn't be in business.
Locksmiths work is feast and famine. As no one plans to use a locksmith until they need a locksmith, so they can’t plan work ahead and customers can’t get estimates

we used one about 15 years ago, he told me that a large percentage of his outgoings was advertising, to get to the top of Yellow Pages.
The business model must have changed now but they still need to be easy to find in an emergency.

what he did took less than 5 minutes but I couldn’t have done it.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Locksmiths work is feast and famine. As no one plans to use a locksmith until they need a locksmith, so they can’t plan work ahead and customers can’t get estimates

we used one about 15 years ago, he told me that a large percentage of his outgoings was advertising, to get to the top of Yellow Pages.
The business model must have changed now but they still need to be easy to find in an emergency.

what he did took less than 5 minutes but I couldn’t have done it.

That is often the key "ingredient" ie the know-how, not the time taken. Like everything else in life, a thing (including a service) it worth what people will pay. ;)

screenman

Legendary Member
We do pretty handsomely in regards to pounds shillings and pence.
But retrain as a locksmith, I prefer a good nights sleep.:okay:

I agree, I never mind paying people fot what I choose not to do myself, I did not think his rate too high.

Top Bottom