Waiting for Lizzie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Currently stood awaiting the women’s tour, at the junction before the mid-course sprint.
9CB36704-208F-433E-987A-C8B1CF59B82B.jpeg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Currently stood awaiting the women’s tour, at the junction before the mid-course sprint.
View attachment 612097
Time for a quick pint too over the road....

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
But she never wears mitts! I guess we can check it out on Eurosport tomorrow, when they show today’s stage.

This is my first time seeing a tour live. It was…. brief! The peloton was still together so they were all through in about 20s. Still, it made a nice 20 mile round trip ride and once they were through I rode along behind them, through the sprint finish, cheered across the line by a school party out to watch, which made me smile a lot!

Then I turned off the route to head towards home and was held at some temporary traffic lights for 5 minutes. It turns out the bridge I was about to cross was being used to film a WWII scene - when the lights eventually changed I rode across the bridge with a load of other cyclists and saw smoke, soldiers in period uniform and an old barge covered in sandbags on the river. Quite the day out!

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
She doesn't appear to be carrying Saturdays trophy around with her :laugh:
Wednesday time trail stage at Atherstone appears to be going down a really good climb I think it's called Peashill lane I hope it's dry it would sketcky to say the least under the trees in the damp on time trail bikes . Hope everyone stays upright because they will be flying down it

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just out of interest is there any razzamatazz like the Tour caravan preceding the riders, and throwing litter tat treasured souvenirs to the assembled masses?

I was hoping for some at the men's Tour when it came to Warrington - but nothing

there were some canopy things on the grass giving away carp but there were queues and nothing looked interesting - no lorries lobbing stuff to the assembled crowds

Just out of interest is there any razzamatazz like the Tour caravan preceding the riders, and throwing litter tat treasured souvenirs to the assembled masses?
Nope.
But if you're a fan of motorbikes in Hi-viz driven at 80mph past a school in a 30 zone, you're in luck!

(There are an insane number of motos. As well as a lot of support vehicles. The numbers do seem pretty similar to a Grand Tour, but I didn't count ... )

There is also a nice, small British village fete atmosphere (for about 20 minutes) 🍵 🥳

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just found out the highlights are on ITV 4 9.00pm
Only 9pm tonight. 8pm from tomorrow.

Both Tour of Britains are fairly low-litter. I think the most I've had is a musette containing snacks, mini water bottle (it falls straight through a cage), magnet, notebook and self-gratification artist wand from a Somerset finish many years ago, a polka-dot bucket hat from a London circuit (I think) when spectating, and a T-shirt and goodie bag and pastries and coffee when riding the Strand/Whitehall/Regent Street London circuit with British Cycling.

There is a blue cowbell here, but it's unbranded and I don't think it was from the Tour of Britain. I think that was from a domestic elite criterium in Fakenham and not the Tour Series. It'll visit the Tour later this week, if we can work out the logistics. The 11am start in Haverhill is surprisingly difficult to reach from here without using the car and that bike race doesn't need yet another car.

Tat is more likely at starts and finishes, in my experience, and it varies depending on the stage sponsors.

Top Bottom