Walk of shame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Only twice have I had difficulty getting debris out of the tyre.
1. An ultra-thin thorn. So fine it was impossible to get a hold of it without snapping it off. I poked a screwdriver into the hole and mashed the residue to a soft pulp. It wasn't any more trouble.
2. A hedge trimming. It was about 4mm diameter and jammed too tight to pull it, so I trimmed it flush with the tread using a penknife, then pushed it through with the screwdriver. The damage caused the bracing in the tyre to fail a few hundred miles later though.

I've had assorted metalwork too, including a screw that damned near punctured the bed of the rim as well, but nothing I couldn't remove.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
20190222_113536.jpg

Brand new £45 tyre skewered by the biggest thorn I have ever seen. At least it was easy to see. Council had just cut the hedges by the canal

I actually always carry a folding tyre now, just in case. I’ve had to use it 3 times this year already. 2 sidewall tears in t***e***s, and one bead failure, on a standard clincher.

Captain Sensible

It had worked it’s way loose after about 6 mls of riding. The shop had stripped it down to try and trace a fault with the Di2 circuitry flattening the battery. Unfortunately they forgot to re torque it on reassembly.

Top Bottom