Walking Dogs Whilst Riding the trike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Does anybody walk their dogs whilst riding? I won't let my 2 off lead in strange places, so they would need to be attached to the trike.
Looking for idea's on how to attach them as it were..

Sara_H

Guru
Does anybody walk their dogs whilst riding? I won't let my 2 off lead in strange places, so they would need to be attached to the trike.
Looking for idea's on how to attach them as it were..
I used to use a trixi bike dog lead with my Labrador. Attaches to the seat post of a bike. Not sure if it could work with a trike.
Worked a treat, I only used to go at what was a slow trot with him. He's old now so we don't use it anymore.

byegad

Legendary Member
It rather than depends on the dog doesn't it. If there's any chance that it will try to run off then you could end up on your side.

I used to walk my dog whilst riding a mountain bike, using an extending lead - worked well, he would run ahead of me. We did this on a farm track where there was very little traffic, next to none to be honest, and I'm not sure if I'd have tried it anywhere with a high number of other road users.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I don't want to do this on road, only round places like Windsor Great Park, where I don't let my dogs off lead. Found a few interesting idea's online which keep the dogs close in their harnesses, they may like that especially since one of them has husky in him so likes to pull...

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I don't want to do this on road, only round places like Windsor Great Park, where I don't let my dogs off lead. Found a few interesting idea's online which keep the dogs close in their harnesses, they may like that especially since one of them has husky in him so likes to pull...
Have a google for bike joring. Lots of information there. A friend takes his 2 huskies joring, with an old bike, off road only of course. They have a blast.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I was thinking something like this
TrikeDog.jpg

TrishE

Über Member
I use a trixie lead on a bike not a trike though. in the picture on the box it is worn across the shoulder to waist diagonally but I put it around my waist. I have ridden miles in traffic but have trained Bonnie well and she listens to me, ignores people and animals, and stops, steers left and right, slows and speeds up when the bike does. I use the command keep going if people try whistling or calling to her etc. Which they have done. Have had mostly positive comments though..one driver shouted good on yer that must be the best exercised dog in the country, a cyclist took a photo when I passed going the opposite way said his wife wouldn't believe what he'd seen otherwise lol. I did have a yorkie in the front basket as well as Bonnie alongside though and loaded with camping gear :smile:

Been using keep going every morning and evening as we now live next to a country park where I take her with a ball thrower, there's loads of rabbits and they keep munching the grass while Bonnie continuously brings the ball back for up to an hour. Say it less now she's learnt to ignore them, they only scatter into the undergrowth when other dog owners walk past once it gets to about 6am.

Top Bottom