Walking very very quickly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
I kept getting silly niggling injuries from even gentle running so I thought I see if walking very very quickly for an hour or so. Its certainly not :becool:but not so bad if it's dark and the locval kids cant throw bricks etc. :smile:! Anyway my point being that I was pleasantly surprised that by the time I got home I really as if I'd stretched some leg bits that don't get a work out on the bike or a run. Just thought I'm mention it .... built up a bit of a sweat too, and swinging the arms seemed to loosen "tight " shoulders etc, after a stressful day.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My commute is very short and so now I cycle when Mrs FF cycles (she works just around the block from me) and when she doesn't cycle I get a lift in with her and walk home. At a brisk pace with heavy old laptop and stuff in my rucksack this takes approx 20 mins. Like you I found it is great exercise and my legs are certainly getting stronger. Great this time of year as you say. Can also be done at lunchtime too, my boss does an hours "brisk walk" and he seems to do well on it. Good exercise, good therapy!

stevenb

Do you walk so fast that your ar*e jiggles around like those Olympic Athletes? :smile:

Sorry..

I used to work 2 miles to work and back. Was great exercise and strengthened my lengths and because I walked briskly (28 mins) I actually got the blood pumping round quite well.
I used to get shin splints a bit though as I walked too fast sometimes...twas painful indeed. But I walked it off....:tongue:

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
stevenb said:
Do you walk so fast that your ar*e jiggles around like those Olympic Athletes? :biggrin:

/quote]

Nope, my arse is like a rock! :blush: Its the belly that jiggles about a bit :tongue:- one day I'll be able to reach the drops on the bike - BTW - how do you tighten those upper abbs ( is that what that bits called? ) Cycling doesnt do it an sit ups just gives me a solid ring of muscle betwixt belly button and groin?

stevenb

TBH...abs are not a set of muscles cyclists use much at all......scrunched up in the saddle. Abs are amongst the hardest of all muscle groups to tone properly. The best thing is to do situps at first....gently ease into them.
When I used to do lots of weight training I'd do various abs exercises. Holding dumbells at shoulder/head height and twists.......increasing in weight...but that's not really neccessary unless you want to really tone up.
Diet change is best for weight loss on the abs...(its always the last place it disappears from too!) and sit ups. ;)

Walking will help.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
stevenb said:
TBH...abs are not a set of muscles cyclists use much at all......scrunched up in the saddle. Abs are amongst the hardest of all muscle groups to tone properly. The best thing is to do situps at first....gently ease into them.
When I used to do lots of weight training I'd do various abs exercises. Holding dumbells at shoulder/head height and twists.......increasing in weight...but that's not really neccessary unless you want to really tone up.
Diet change is best for weight loss on the abs...(its always the last place it disappears from too!) and sit ups. ;)

Walking will help.
Ta Steve, I changed my diet about a month ago ( hopefully a long term thing) and weight is falling off everywhere else but where I want it! :smile:

stevenb said:
....strengthened my lengths and .....I actually got the blood pumping round quite well.

:biggrin::rolleyes:

Top Bottom