Wandering in Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
Sorry to hear it all went pear shaped today. Tomorrow is another day, though. Learn from this one.

And yes, people are kind. That is one lesson I have learned from many thousands of miles of touring.

robjh

Legendary Member
Weather forecast for Amiens today
upload_2017-6-24_9-28-25.png

It looks windy, but blowing from the west.
Which way are you going?

hoopdriver

Guru
Years ago (back in the summer of 2000 in fact) when I rode from Sussex to Istanbul I found myself trapped in an endless cycle of cold and rain and by the time I had reached Hungary I was sick of it. Instead of going home though, what I did was revise my route. Figuring (correctly) that I was only going to find more wet misery if I persisted on my present course, through Romania, I turned my handlebars straight south - made for Trieste and headed down the hot and sunny Dalmatian coast to Greece and approached Istanbul that way. The world is your oyster when you are on a bicycle. If there are headwinds you don't care to buck, turn them into tailwinds and go elsewhere!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Been there done that with the day from hell (had a few I think). Hope weather, mind and body feel better ASAP.

damj

[QUOTE 4852824, member: 21629"]Last couple of hours before going to Dover. Will catch a 2am ferry to Dunkerque and will head to Paris. Should reach it in 2 days time.

From Paris will go to Geneve and will spend few days in Switzerland. After Switzerland will go further.

Got 3 bottles of SPF 50 suncream. ^_^

Good luck for myself. Hopefully everything will be ok and I won't need to turn bicycle back home after the first night.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely awesome mate take it all in, absorb it. Take care

Edit after writing -

Ah should have read on, some really advice, keep going, you'll not regret it.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
[QUOTE 4858476, member: 21629"]I said what I'll do.

Back home.
The weather on Saturday was absolute crap, very windy + no sun + rain. Met another cyclist at Dunkerque who was complaining about the weather and wind.
There was also a letter from HMRC for me so waiting for a checque now which will change all my holiday plans. No need for survival holiday.[/QUOTE]
Every cloud has a silver lining? :smile:

Top Bottom