1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wandering in Europe

Discussion in 'Member's Travelogues' started by OMG, 22 Jun 2017.

1. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Happy Trails Ausra, :bicycle: :okay:

2. OP
    OP
    OMG

OMG Veteran

I'm standing in the middle of nowhere (fields around me, no houses or people). 15k to Amiens city.
    Today is 100% fail. Large big massive FAIL.
    Starting with completely different weather than forecasts said. No sunny day. No light breeze.
    I was riding all current 130k into horrible headwind. It's not 3mph as promised. It's like that wall of wind during Sotkayak's ride. It's got even worse after morning. I just have no power to pedal. Walking not even uphills but flats too.
    And there are no food shops or petrol stations or pubs. Last time I ate on ferry at 2.30am. No food at all since then. Very upsetting experience.
    At the moment my thoughts are somehow reach Amiens and will catch a train back to Dunkerque tomorrow.
    If I will manage to get food I may change my mind. But in that case I will catch a train straight to Switzerland.

Edit 30 minutes later: FOOD !!!! Yep, closer to the city more usual stuff. Village with food shop. 30 minutes before it will close.

Still 5km to Amiens. Going with idea to buy train ticket back to ferry tomorrow.

My knees will curse me.

3. hoopdriver

hoopdriver Über Member

Headwinds are a real joy-killer - like an endless hill with no view and no respite. Did you originally plan to return tomorrow or is this a result of a ghastly day on the road?

4. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Oh noes!
    Headwinds are not for fighting :-(
    Eat and sleep well and see what tomorrow brings.
    What was your planned itinerary?

hopless500, Blue Hills and raleighnut like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    OMG

OMG Veteran

A bit of stats:

160k cycled. All into that horrible headwind. What a hell I was thinking about.

6000 calories burnt. Mostly of my brain obviously. Otherwise I would turned back to ferry after 20k instead of torturing myself all that distance.

6 litres of water gone. All times record. 2 litres kindly given in a local pub (and they didn't serve food at all, even no chocolate bars).
    Another 2 litres were given by a man in flower shop. :smile: I think my face was talking for me because he gave me ice cold water from a bottle.

2 litres of Coca-Cola also gone.
    Jeez I've never consumed so much fluids. Luckily I have electrolyte tablets and they did the job 100%.

Sitting in Amiens train station. I think I will head home. Need to sort out what to do if the weather turns into sh1t like today etc. I checked weather forecasts a few times during the week and I was prepared for hot sunny weather with light breeze... Not for cycling into a wind tunnel.

Anyway, first train to Dunkerque is at 7.40 am tomorrow.

Well, sh1t happens. :smile: I've never cycled in France and I will never ever do that again.

6. OP
    OP
    OMG

OMG Veteran

P.S. I've planned cycled to Paris and then cycle straight to Switzerland.

Fab Foodie and raleighnut like this.
  7. hoopdriver

hoopdriver Über Member

Sorry to hear it all went pear shaped today. Tomorrow is another day, though. Learn from this one.

And yes, people are kind. That is one lesson I have learned from many thousands of miles of touring.

hopless500 and Blue Hills like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    OMG

OMG Veteran

I don't give up, no way. Still have got Swiss currency and euros. And it's not even July yet. :smile:

I've already got another plan in my head.

9. hoopdriver

hoopdriver Über Member

Glad to hear that

10. OP
    OP
    OMG

OMG Veteran

Ah yeah, some bits from today (before I gone completely out of myself).

Does anybody know what is this? Tardis Compact, Darlex/Darlix/Garlic whatever new shape?
    20170623_223250.jpg

Who could believe French harvest snowflakes.
    20170623_084803.jpg

Behind is the pub where I was given water and had a chat with a waitress. She spoke French only and I don't speak French at all but she asked me where I'm cycling from and to, where I am from etc. It was interesting.
    20170623_223613.jpg

I'm still happy.
    20170623_084949.jpg

A massive race was going today. About 200 cyclists in few groups: serious ones first, ordinary guys just chatting to each other and enjoying their day. And yes, all of them were enjoying that horrible... tailwind! Going different direction than I did.
    20170623_223700.jpg

11. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

How you feeling this morning?

12. hoopdriver

hoopdriver Über Member

Has the wind died down? Is the day - and the outlook - any brighter?

13. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

If you are still in Amiens. Check out the cathedral. Its stunningly beautiful.

hopless500 and Fab Foodie like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    OMG

OMG Veteran

Temperature is lower than yesterday. It was 22'C at 7am yesterday and only 18'C now at 10am.

Same with the wind. It's 14mph currently in the city. It will be much stronger outside in the fields. And it's headwind.

My knees are more or less ok but wrists hurt. I cannot use the left one. Last 10 miles were on horribly crap road. I have never seen such a road anywhere else in Europe. Very rough surface and thousands of potholes. I have got good gloves but they didn't help.

In conclusion I'm not ready for such weather conditions.

15. Weather forecast for Amiens today
    upload_2017-6-24_9-28-25.png
    It looks windy, but blowing from the west.
    Which way are you going?