Want a road bike with eyelets and disc brakes..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I also saw the CAADX in the same store as the Whyte....was a nice looking machine but the Whyte looked nicer lol

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Sounds like you're looking for something similar to my requirements. I've done up a big spreadsheet with a lot of options. Are you looking for a particular groupset? Cable or Hydraulic brakes? Carbon or Alu?
Two of my frontrunners are:
  • Cannondale Synapse 105 5 disc (Alu, cable disc, £999)
  • Cannondale CAADX SRAM Rival disc (Alu, Hydraulic disc, £1399)
Both have eyelets.
Please read my later post.. :thumbsup:
Cheers

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I was going to make this thread yesterday. I'm also after something sporty with mudguard eyelets but I also want rack mounts and larger clearance if possible. For all year road use.
I decided to build my own fom a framset and started off looking at the Planet X London Road (£300 frameset, £1,000 bike), then at the Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 (£450 frameset, £1,100 bike), and now I'm flirting with the possibility of a Ti frameset like the Kinesis Tripster ATR (£1,100 frameset, ~£2,000 bike). Unfortunately it seems each frameset I look at has its own little quirk(s) that put me off. I've linked the pre-built versions as it seems to be what you're after; the spec isn't great on them though, hence why I want to build one.

Also, why put this in Accessories? It might get a bit more attention in the bikes or components sections.

Thanks for your imput.. I would like to build a bike but don't know enough just yet.
I looked at the headings for this thread and it does say What bike and bike buying advise so I thought this was the thread.. never mind.. :smile:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Whyte do disc brakes road bikes too

Why do you need a cx bike and a disc brakes road bike with mudguards for use on roads? I'm a bit lost on that one

You don't have to do a bike build yourself, an lbs will oblige. It's a good way to go if the bike spec you want doesn't exist as was the case with my genesis

They also do top notch bikes with disc brakes

vickster

Legendary Member
Please read my later post.. :thumbsup:
Cheers
Your later post is earlier, took me a while!

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Whyte do disc brakes road bikes too

Why do you need a cx bike and a disc brakes road bike with mudguards for use on roads? I'm a bit lost on that one

You don't have to do a bike build yourself, an lbs will oblige. It's a good way to go if the bike spec you want doesn't exist as was the case with my genesis

They also do top notch bikes with disc brakes

My plan is a bit odd but living in two countries is hard sometimes..but its this..

Spain.. Trek SL Dura Ace and I will bring the Crosstrail back for the second bike.
UK.. Perhaps the Caadx 105 for the trails and the road bike with eyelets and disc's for over here?

At the moment I only have one bike with disc brakes and I'm not risking too much in the rain without better brake's

annirak

Veteran
Here's my list of bikes that meet at least part of your criteria. Some of them are CX bikes (sorry, you'll have to filter that yourself)

The selection criteria were: mudguards, disc brakes, and either (Ultegra|105|Rival 22|Force 22). They're sorted in order of ascending price.

• Cube Cross Race Disc
  • Cannondale CAADX 105 DISC
  • Charge Plug 4
  • Focus Mares AX 3.0
  • Cannondale Synapse 105 disc
  • Planet X London Road
  • Raleigh Maverick Comp
  • Whyte Suffolk
  • Pinnacle Arkose 4
  • Cannondale CAADX SRAM RIVAL DISC
  • Charge Plug 5
  • Cube Cross Race Disc Pro
  • Focus Mares AX 1.0
  • Raleigh RX Pro
  • Boardman CX 9.0
  • Cannondale Synapse SRAM RIVAL DISC
  • BMC Granfondo GF02 Disc
  • Raleigh Revenio 5 disc
  • Specialized Diverge Comp Smartweld
  • Whyte Saxon Cross Team
  • BMC Granfondo GF02 Disc
  • Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon
Hope that helps!

[edit:] I would have posted the table, except there appears not to be bbcode table support on cyclechat.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I know that question was not addressed to me, but I am going through the same process at the moment and these are my thoughts ...
  • Road rides in good weather: I have a nice Cannondale road bike for them. Perhaps one day it will be replaced by a carbon fibre bike, but I am in no hurry to do that.
  • Hardcore offroad rides: We have some great bridleways round here, the more gnarly of which are best ridden on mountain bikes. I have a hardtail MTB for them.
  • Road rides in bad weather: I would like mudguards for those rides. I would also like disk brakes for improved braking, and to avoid rim and excessive brake block wear in the wet, and especially when the roads have been gritted. A CX bike with disk brakes and mudguards would be good in that role, as long as the tyres were not too knobbly.
  • Mixed terrain rides: Road, canal towpaths, less gnarly bridleways ... A CX bike would be ideal.
  • Light touring: A CX bike with mudguards and a rack would be very good in that role too.
So, I reckon my Cannondale, my Rock Lobster MTB, and a suitable CX bike would cover about 99% of the riding that I'd ever want to do. (I'd want lower gears on the CX bike than would normally be fitted though, perhaps less than 1:1 bottom gear.)

vickster

Legendary Member
When I posted it wasn't clear that he lived in two countries, as he stated having a fancy carbon roadbike for good weather

Top Bottom