Want a road bike with eyelets and disc brakes..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazyjoe101

I was looking at the Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 as I thought it would be nice to try some CX but thinking about it more it seems a better idea to get a really nice disc bike with 'proper' road geometry and just use my hardtail for offroad, as most of my riding will be on road anyway, so the bike should focus on that. That said, there doesn't seem to be a frameset which really meets my requirements.
At this point I'm probably going to build up a PX London Road with a 105/Ultegra mix with the hydraulic disc brakes and a decent wheelset, I can then upgrade the frame and wheelset when there are more road disc offerings
Thanks for your imput.. I would like to build a bike but don't know enough just yet.
I looedk at the headings for this thread and it does say What bike and bike buying advise so I thought this was the thread.. never mind.. :smile:
It's in the right forum, but you've put it in the Accessories and Services subforum.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
GT Grade :- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-grade-carbon-105-2015-free-sammy-slick-tyres/ ?

It's perhaps a bit too much like a CX bike for your needs but, I think, the frame is very light and the clearance for bigger tyres can only be a good thing IMO.

Alternatively there's the Orbea Avant :- http://www.bike-logic.co.uk/shop/orbea-avant-m30d-road-bike/ albeit it's at the top of your price range.
It has rack mountings as well :smile:.

Of the these two, I'd be more inclined towards the GT because it has a through axle fork.

*Retailers chosen at random.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Here's my list of bikes that meet at least part of your criteria. Some of them are CX bikes (sorry, you'll have to filter that yourself)

The selection criteria were: mudguards, disc brakes, and either (Ultegra|105|Rival 22|Force 22). They're sorted in order of ascending price.

• Cube Cross Race Disc
  • Cannondale CAADX 105 DISC
  • Charge Plug 4
  • Focus Mares AX 3.0
  • Cannondale Synapse 105 disc
  • Planet X London Road
  • Raleigh Maverick Comp
  • Whyte Suffolk
  • Pinnacle Arkose 4
  • Cannondale CAADX SRAM RIVAL DISC
  • Charge Plug 5
  • Cube Cross Race Disc Pro
  • Focus Mares AX 1.0
  • Raleigh RX Pro
  • Boardman CX 9.0
  • Cannondale Synapse SRAM RIVAL DISC
  • BMC Granfondo GF02 Disc
  • Raleigh Revenio 5 disc
  • Specialized Diverge Comp Smartweld
  • Whyte Saxon Cross Team
  • BMC Granfondo GF02 Disc
  • Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon
Hope that helps!

[edit:] I would have posted the table, except there appears not to be bbcode table support on cyclechat.

That's a lot of home you have done so thanks very much for posting it..
I am looking for a CX bike as well as a road disc bike, it just means I have to sell two other bikes to get them so I might not be able to get both at the same time?
PS.. Some of the bikes you have listed I didn't have so I will have a look at them.. cheers

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I know that question was not addressed to me, but I am going through the same process at the moment and these are my thoughts ...
  • Road rides in good weather: I have a nice Cannondale road bike for them. Perhaps one day it will be replaced by a carbon fibre bike, but I am in no hurry to do that.
  • Hardcore offroad rides: We have some great bridleways round here, the more gnarly of which are best ridden on mountain bikes. I have a hardtail MTB for them.
  • Road rides in bad weather: I would like mudguards for those rides. I would also like disk brakes for improved braking, and to avoid rim and excessive brake block wear in the wet, and especially when the roads have been gritted. A CX bike with disk brakes and mudguards would be good in that role, as long as the tyres were not too knobbly.
  • Mixed terrain rides: Road, canal towpaths, less gnarly bridleways ... A CX bike would be ideal.
  • Light touring: A CX bike with mudguards and a rack would be very good in that role too.
So, I reckon my Cannondale, my Rock Lobster MTB, and a suitable CX bike would cover about 99% of the riding that I'd ever want to do. (I'd want lower gears on the CX bike than would normally be fitted though, perhaps less than 1:1 bottom gear.)

Good post Colin that's most of what I've been thinking,

I like my crosstrail but I would drops not flatbar handlebars. I wont be racing just using road, pathways and bridleway's really just like you said but with the addition of eyelets and disc on my bikes over what I have at the moment?

Cheers :smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
GT Grade :- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-grade-carbon-105-2015-free-sammy-slick-tyres/ ?

It's perhaps a bit too much like a CX bike for your needs but, I think, the frame is very light and the clearance for bigger tyres can only be a good thing IMO.

Alternatively there's the Orbea Avant :- http://www.bike-logic.co.uk/shop/orbea-avant-m30d-road-bike/ albeit it's at the top of your price range.
It has rack mountings as well :smile:.

Of the these two, I'd be more inclined towards the GT because it has a through axle fork.

*Retailers chosen at random.

Not seen the GT though the write up is good but I have seen the Orbea in a shop over here but that was 2 years ago so a few changes may of been made?

Cyclist33

I'm now in the market for a road bike with eyelets for mud guards and disc brake's, the two I was looking at was the Cannondale Ultegra Snyapse Disc and the Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc, but reading the info and the Snyapse has no eyelets for mud guards so it's off the list.
So what else is there disc brakes and eyelets, I don't mind a 105 groupset.
Price range has an absolute top line of £2500.. around £2000/£2200 would be better?
Got any ideas..
google.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Just buy this and write up a review for me please lol

5279-17187-full-suffolk-90.jpg

simon.r

Person
A bit down market for your budget, but I've just pressed the button on a 2014 Charge Plug 3 at £499:
http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/road-bikes-c5/road-bikes-c37/charge-plug-3-road-bike-2014-p440

It's to replace a Charge Juicer, the big differences being discs and rack mounts. Most of the groupset will be swapped out with what's currently on the Juicer and the new bits from the Plug sold on, so with a bit of luck it'll be a relatively cheap exercise in trying out a disc braked road bike.

Top Bottom