Want a SS. I think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
if and ONLY if, the frame is worth keeping.

Is the frame worth keeping? Yes, definitely. Rigid mountain bike frames make great do-it-all bikes. Touring? Stick a rack on the back, no problem. A bit of offroad? Sure, just put the knobbly tires on. Commuting to work? Equip it with mudguards and slick tires and you're set!

But is it worth spending a lot of money on? My personal opinion is probably not. If it were mine, I'd restore it using as much of the original parts as possible, spending money on the parts that will give a major performance increase (i.e. new derailleur and cables, and replacing parts that are worn out such as chain, maybe chainset, freewheel and slick tires). Give the frame a good clean and it'll look like a new bike!

If you were going to build up on to a frame using completely new parts, I'd recommend also using a new frame and then doing up the Raleigh on the cheap - £50 and a bit of work should make it ride like new!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Do NOT hang this round my neck!

Russell

It's okay, the feeling passed. For me half the reason I even have a single speed is so that I have a bike I can rattle about on without too much concern for looks, mechanicals or rank odour, so having a pretty single speed wouldn't really work for me.

*looks over to wife for chink of light in the shuttered door of N+1 hope*

No, wouldn't work for me.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
for me it comes down to one simple question....

what is that frame made of? If it is some swoopy Reynolds loveliness, or Tange or Dedaciai, then it is worth investing effort in. If it is plain old unbutted hi-ten "gas pipe" then it ain't. The fact the bike has bolt on wheels as standard suggests it is likely to be the latter rather than any of the former.

If you want to ride a bomb-proof atb urban warrior 'gas pipe' frame, albeit with the odd Chromo tube chucked in, then make it a new one, that rust hasn't slowly been eating, and get something with 700c wheels like a Charge Plug.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Don't want to put you off, but I wouldn't spend money on that frameset. Especially as it is going to be your only bike, (yeah, right).

Seriously, I think you would be disappointed with it, as your first bike; it'll do for a winter hack or town bike if you so feel a need.

An On-One frameset (or similar), & select the parts you want is a much better option, or check out second hand / pre owned bikes.

There are quite often bikes for sale on here, usually because someone wants something of better quality.

simon.r

Person
Another vote for a Macinato - lovely frame. On-One's prices seem to go up and down by the day. I suspect that you'll be able to pick up a complete bike for £400 if you wait and keep an eye on their website for the next couple of months, or the frame only is £100 at the moment, which should leave enough to do a complete build within your budget.

I have a Trek Second District and Masi Fixed drop, both lovely (one Alu, one CroMo) and both were £400. The Trek is perfect for a commuter having all the fixing points one might want.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Alternatively you can get single speed frames from On-One very cheaply (around £100) such as the Pompino and the Macinato.

Now I do like the look of that Macinato frame :smile: hmmmmmmmm

Manonabike

Über Member
£400! You can pretty much build the most amazing SS ever with that budget and DIY skills. I shall watch this thread with interest!

You can certainly build a single speed with £400 but not an amazing SS. That's is my guess and based on what it cost me to build mine two years ago.

From memory..... my best recollections are:

Frame - Reynolds 351c in very good condition £60 and that was cheap.
Sandblasting + respraying £100
Brakes + Brake levers + cables £60
Wheels £120
Handlebars + Bar tape + stem + computer = £60
BB + Crankset + SS cog + chain + SPD pedals= £90
Tyres + Tubes = £50
Seatpost + Brooks Team Pro saddle £85
Grand Total = £625 and I don't consider that an amazing SS ^_^

Top Bottom