Want a SS. I think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
It's nice to come across a forum that's full of genuinely helpful suggestions and it's certainly changed my thoughts. The Raleigh can bide it's time and when ready, get a few pennies spent to bring it back to working order. It'll make a good pub bike, which is mostly what it did 20 years ago. Oh god! It was twenty years ago...

So, I'm liking the look of the On One stuff, the Pompino in particular - Shame they're not doing it in chocolate brown this year. I could see that looking nice with black wheels/chainset and brown leather saddle and bar tape. Still, I must remember it has a job to do, namely sliming my fat butt.

A question or two, if I may trouble you chaps further:
1. What's with the cantilever brake mounts? I thought cantilever brakes had fallen from favour?
2. Sizing. I'm 5' 10", but have a 32" inside leg, with an ape like reach to match. One assumes it's best to buy a frame to suit my legs and then adjust reach with suitable bar and riser?
3. I assume the matching Pompino forks are similarly good value?

Thanks in advance,

Russell

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Don't know much about the frame, but with drop bars it's difficult to use v-brakes (different length of cable pull from drop bar levers) and caliper brakes can't handle wide tyres so canti's still have a place.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Don't know much about the frame, but with drop bars it's difficult to use v-brakes (different length of cable pull from drop bar levers) and caliper brakes can't handle wide tyres so canti's still have a place.

Tektro and Cane Creek do drop bar v-brake levers, I think the Tektro version is excellent and I'd always take v's over cantis personally

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
My commuter SS has DiaCompe 287V levers and v-brakes so I know it can be done, but if you start adding integrated gears it gets difficult.

I'd say the Vs are more powerful than the cantis on my tourer, but the modulation is better on the canti setup.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
My commuter SS has DiaCompe 287V levers and v-brakes so I know it can be done, but if you start adding integrated gears it gets difficult.

I'd say the Vs are more powerful than the cantis on my tourer, but the modulation is better on the canti setup.

Agreed but I thought this was about SS/Fixed, if we're going to be fleshing things out then I'd future proof and go with discs.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
a ss pompetamine with drops and cable discs is a nice bike
a ss pompetamine with flats and hydraulic discs is a very nice bike
a fixed pompetamine with flats and bar ends and a hydraulic disc up front anyone?

simon.r

Person
A question or two, if I may trouble you chaps further:
1. What's with the cantilever brake mounts? I thought cantilever brakes had fallen from favour?
2. Sizing. I'm 5' 10", but have a 32" inside leg, with an ape like reach to match. One assumes it's best to buy a frame to suit my legs and then adjust reach with suitable bar and riser?
3. I assume the matching Pompino forks are similarly good value?

1 - V brakes (modern cantis basically) are very good. They make sense on a singlespeed for the reasons listed by others.
2 - Probably, but you may end up with a very long stem and associated barge-like handling. If you're only planning to ride on road you may get away with an XL frame (which is only 57cm centre to top) which I'd guess would suit your reach better. I wear 34" leg trousers and wouldn't like to go smaller than my XL.
3 - They work well IME and aren't expensive.

simon.r

Person
a ss pompetamine with drops and cable discs is a nice bike
a ss pompetamine with flats and hydraulic discs is a very nice bike
a fixed pompetamine with flats and bar ends and a hydraulic disc up front anyone?

Hmm...that Pompetamine in my garage that barely gets used may get a new lease of life...anyone want to buy an Alfine hub geared wheel?^_^

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Hmm...that Pompetamine in my garage that barely gets used may get a new lease of life...anyone want to buy an Alfine hub geared wheel?^_^

What number of gears, spokes and rim and how much wonga? I am currently converting a Pompino, spaced and have a 8 speed nexus laced onto a Open pro rim, but notice the alfine is a good few grams lighter...

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
What number of gears, spokes and rim and how much wonga? I am currently converting a Pompino, spaced and have a 8 speed nexus laced onto a Open pro rim, but notice the alfine is a good few grams lighter...

LOL Davywalnuts, worrying about a lighter hub and a few grams given your kebab intake :rofl:

I

Canti brakes are excellent. Ignore lo-pro versions - go for 'frogleg' style wide ones. They've got much better modulation than any other type of brake, and are dead easy to set up. Oh - and easy to clean the braking faces, too, so you don't gouge your rims with collected flints and grut. Work perfectly with normal brake levers for drops.

simon.r

Person
@Davywalnuts and @GregCollins - I'm only thinking out loud at this stage, but I'll get in touch if/when I do decide to sell it. The plan is to rationalise the fleet over Christmas and start to sell off what I don't need.

I do have a Nexus hub geared wheel (26" rim - Mavic 517 I think, but I'd need to check) that is currently sat in my garage. If that's of interest let me know and I'll confirm the spec etc.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Right, I'm sorry to disappoint, but I sold my soul to the devil and bought a Charge Plug 3.

After sitting down and thinking about it, I realised that my near future is likely to involve a tag along and frankly, I'm not fit enough to do it without at least 3 gears. It seemed sensible to buy a bike with a half decent geared wheelset and gears and then add better SS/Fixed items at a later date, if I fancy.

Also, as much as I love the look of the Pompino, I'd started off with a budget of £300, revised that to £350 when riding the SE Lager Lite and £500 was just a jump too far, considering that I'd need other stuff too - New, lights, helmet, gloves, jacket etc.

I already have two expensive hobbies, so I took a reality check. This way, I can also employ a tactic learned in those hobbies is; Sneaking component upgrades past the wife is easy, compared to single large lumps of expenditure.Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey...

Russell

Top Bottom