Want to ride Silverstone?

Discussion in 'CycleChat and Recreational Rides' started by Globalti, 25 Apr 2010.

1. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

2. TVC

TVC Guest

Sod it, I have a mate's retirement do on the Friday, a family party on the Saturday and a Sportive on the Sunday - do you think we could get them to change the dates, it looks like a pretty good day out.

3. BrumJim

BrumJim Poster

Oooh, sorely tempted.

4. robgul

robgul Guru

All is not lost - there is a ride organised for Monday 30 August 2010 - as many laps as you like of the track. It's for Macmillan Cancer Support - see www.macride-silverstone.org.uk/ for details and (soon) online entry

Rob

5. Norry1

Norry1 Veteran

I'm running it tonight - a 10K :blush:

They also do Duathlons there which I may have a bash at later.

Martin

6. Having cycled round the old track, it wasn't exactly exciting.
    Huge wide straights, huge wide corners.
    Might be alright at 150mph, but not thrilling in a roadcar let alone on a bike.

Now Cadwell, there's a circuit that's fun to ride round !

7. Norry1

Norry1 Veteran

Trust me, it is exciting at the end of the straights on a motorbike.

Cadwell is like a country lane in comparison - much more interesting

Martin

8. Big A

Big A Senior Member

Anybody know if you can still ride around Silverstone or any other road tracks? Sounds fun

9. rb58

rb58 Enigma

Paddock Hill Bend at Brands Hatch. Awesome in a car, almost as good on a bike.....

That was at last year's Bike Radar event - but unfortunately it's been canned this year.

10. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

I did the MacRide at Silverstone last year but unfortunately the event isn't being held this year.

I enjoyed it, but a constant 18 mph wind destroyed any chance of me achieving my target of 40 miles in the 2 hours available. I was on my singlespeed bike and was spinning out on the tailwind sections and grovelling when riding into a headwind.

Having no motor traffic to contend with was fun, as was the lack of potholes and broken glass. There were rather a lot of young kids meandering randomly about the circuit though so I had to keep an eye out for them at all times.

11. the snail

the snail Veteran

12. Rebel Ian

Rebel Ian Well-Known Member

Silverstone sounds fun but would much prefer to ride Brands. An awesome circuit on/in any form of transport.

13. dellzeqq

dellzeqq pre-talced and mighty

there's still cycle racing on the track at Crystal Palace. The surprise is that it was ever used for motorsport

(edit) it still is http://www.youtube.c...feature=related gorblimey, guvnor! In the good old days you had side by side racing as opposed to time trials

ah-ha! The full Cholmondely-Warner with Jim Clark driving http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bWp-0TuY4Sk note handily placed trees!

14. I'm taking offspring 1.0 (answers to 4id4n usually) to see the motor racing at the Palace next weekend, he is v v excited about it in the way only a 3.8 year old with a car obsession can be. Still haven't been to see the crits up there though, keep being busy on Tuesday evenings, possibly next week.

15. WychwoodTrev

WychwoodTrev Well-Known Member

I am riding anglesey race circuit on sat 28th of this month a week sat for charity. If any one on here is local enough you are welcome to join in for a small donation to the charity say a tenner the ride/race is 3 laps but when its finnished you would be okk to carry on and do as many laps as you like.the ride will be after 6pm when the motorbike racing has finnished. The charity is children with cancer.pm me if you are interested

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice