Want to start using Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
What will I need apart from new wheels and the brakes themselves to transfer my hybrid from V-Brakes to Disc Brakes and what sort of total price would it be?

spence

Über Member
Nothing, assuming both the frame and forks have the disk mounts.

At a guess the brakes will be between £50 to £300 per end and a wheel set between £150 to what ever you want to spend.

OP
OP
Simba

Simba

My bike does have the mounts to attach these, which is why I want to move to disc brakes. I am guessing I would need new levers for a hydraulic system?

StuartG

slower but further
Out with a new rider yesterday. He has had a (to us) incredible number of spoke failures. We looked at the bike, we scratched our heads. He did have disk brakes. Could these put too much strain on wheels not designed to take the extra stress as all the braking is transmitted that way unlike rim brakes.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
What will I need apart from new wheels and the brakes themselves to transfer my hybrid from V-Brakes to Disc Brakes and what sort of total price would it be?

You don't need to replace the whole wheel, just the hubs, which maybe cheaper if your LBS has a good wheel builder.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Out with a new rider yesterday. He has had a (to us) incredible number of spoke failures. We looked at the bike, we scratched our heads. He did have disk brakes. Could these put too much strain on wheels not designed to take the extra stress as all the braking is transmitted that way unlike rim brakes.

Sounds more like badly built wheels...

OP
OP
Simba

Simba

You don't need to replace the whole wheel, just the hubs, which maybe cheaper if your LBS has a good wheel builder.

Unfortunately for me Halfords is my LBS

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I am guessing I would need new levers for a hydraulic system?
Hydraulic brakes generally come with the lever and caliper already connected. That's why you have to specify front or rear when buying.
Costwise, a cheap hydraulic isn't much more than a good (i.e. BB7) cable disc. Whether it would work any better is another matter (I'm on drop handlebars, therefore BB7).

spence

Über Member
Be careful of the mounts, manufacturers are moving/moved over to post mount as opposed to the previously common IS mount. Make sure you get the correct adapters (also for rotor size) for the calliper and your frame/fork mount.

Personally been using Hopes for the past dozen years or so with no issues and would highly recommend them - I know others will say differently but that's the case with anything - as they have always just worked. If you do need to bleed them ie shortening a hose, they use DOT (car) fluid as opposed to mineral oil used by Shimano etc. and there's no elaborate procedure using special kits. A bit of clear pipe and a jar is all you need.

Top Bottom