Wanted: Amazing spec Road Bike for £1000 and under!!! ;)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Powely

Want more than I can afford or wish to pay.... Anyone know of a new road bike (pref full carbon) with an amazing all over spec; groupset, wheels, tyres, seat, seatpost, stem, brakes etc for around a £1000...NO, what a surprise. ;) Trust me to want more for less!

defy-one

Best you will get is Giant Defy one or Cube peleton pro. They are the best for £1k

Want more than I can afford or wish to pay.... Anyone know of a new road bike (pref full carbon) with an amazing all over spec; groupset, wheels, tyres, seat, seatpost, stem, brakes etc for around a £1000...NO, what a surprise. ;) Trust me to want more for less!

my suggestions not good enough for ya..? If you want a better spec, spend more - or buy second hand...

Don't discount alu frames. You really don't need carbon IMO, and you probably only think you do because the pros use them.

However the difference between a £1k cf framed bike and a £10k cf framed bike is obviously night and day.

Stick to alu and you'll get more bang or your buck at your budget.

Buy the best frame you can, everything else is an easy upgrade when the time comes.

FWIW if you're considering second hand cf be very careful.

defy-one

But your biased :smile:

I am but i looked long and hard before buying the Defy

martint235

Dog on a bike
Definitely look at Ribble. And look at some of the lesser known European manufacturers (ok all the frames are far east we know). Things like Moda (UK based apparently). It's difficult to beat Giant although I'd stay away from their alu bikes (broke one).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am but i looked long and hard before buying the Defy
I know , defy`s are a good bike for the spec i was just yanking your chain :smile: I just like to offer alternatives.
If i had a grand TBH i would go with what smokeypoo says and get a good alloy frame as they can be just as light, when built and set up right they can be jut as comfy as a carbon frame and can have better components .
I am a boardman rider and they get good reviews , if i had a grand then the 105 /mavic specced team would be my buy .
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_832167_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
However the difference between a £1k cf framed bike and a £10k cf framed bike is obviously night and day.

Smokeysmoo is bang on the money imho. My team Venge uses Specialized FACT11 carbon fibre layup process which utilizes a E630 grade carbon while the non-sworks Venge's uses FACT10 carbon fibre layup process which is completely different with a lower grade E390 carbon.
Although the bikes look similar they have very different characteristics, the FACT10 venge is softer and more forgiving, it copes with pot holes so much more comfortably, however it does not feel as responsive as the FACT11 Venge which is ligher and stiffer, I know this from personal experience having lived with both for a while. By contrast the Mclaren Venge is classified as FACT12 and uses the best grade carbon and layup process which makes it the lightest and stiffest.

not all carbon is created equal, sometimes your better off with a different material imho

OP
OP
Powely

Powely

Thanks for all the tips guys. Been away for a few days so only just read them. It's so hard to know what's best to do though....I was thinking of the carbon Boardman but now I think I need to really consider a in Alu model again??? :S

I was only thinking carbon because it seems to be a 'step up' from alu and didn't want to end up spending again because I end up with 'carbon envy'! ;)

Rykard

Veteran
Thanks for all the tips guys. Been away for a few days so only just read them. It's so hard to know what's best to do though....I was thinking of the carbon Boardman but now I think I need to really consider a in Alu model again??? :S

I was only thinking carbon because it seems to be a 'step up' from alu and didn't want to end up spending again because I end up with 'carbon envy'! ;)

you sound like a guy i work with - he's looking for a new 'step up' but doesn't know which way to go..

Top Bottom