Wanted - modern road bike - drop handle bars £300 budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pad1979

in ex con with no mechanical defects or in need of tyres. dont mind usual scuffs etc

preston (lancashire) region .

thanks
paul

vickster

Legendary Member
Not used, but the Decathlon Triban 3 is a cracker new for £300 :smile: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html

A few stores in the NW

OP
OP
P

pad1979

thanks everyone for very quick, knowledgable replies. firstly i should have stated im 6 foot so probably need a bigger frame than the ventura, servicemycycle, also i dont know much about them and can't find much info on the web, but appreciate the offer matey.

secondly, whats the deal with these tribans ? nearly every post requiring an entry level road bike gets the same response. does anyone have a bad word to say about them ? why are they so cheap compared with other similar spec bikes ? i have seen the raleigh airlite 100 for the same cost as well as the carrera tdf at halfords ( are they their house brand) i dont have transport so will have to get something delivered or within about 15miles and near a train station - i have ridden further but am out of touch/shape at the mo lol

OP
OP
P

pad1979

also i see the triban has pedals with toe clips. does that mean i can wear normal trainers without the need for cycling shoes ? i ask this as im a complete novice with these things and the pedals on the bike look different to the ones i had had on my old raleigh! i mean to get some shoes but i want decent ones which i dont have the funds for at the moment so would prefer not to have to buy some for a few weeks

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, you can use trainers, tap shoes or slippers if you so want :smile:

22 mins by train from Preston to Bolton apparently...call the Bolton store before travelling as low stocks in some stores - it is less than half a mile walk from the station according to Google directions...easy peasy :smile:

OP
OP
P

pad1979

haha wow thanks for your help, and i think it could be the bike for me the reviews and feedback are amazing. one last thing which size do you think would suit me @ 6 foot. it looks like they only have the 21" frame which i dont think will be big enough.

lb81

I am 6ft and have a 60cm Triban...

They get such good reviews because £300 really isnt very much for a new bike and it looks handles and has similar features (such as a carbon fork) as bikes costing nearly double. And most other bikes around this money are to put it bluntly pretty s**t...

D

Deleted member 20519

Not at all but I have read the very good review in Cycling Active and the feedback on here...and I never have any luck buying used bikes, bit better at selling them!

The Decathlon guy was talking about that to me, they had the review pinned up above the Tribans. They'd just got a whole shipment of them in, it was a beautiful sight :hugs:

OP
OP
P

pad1979

thanks for all the help guy's your very welcoming. im gonna have to try a few sizes i think, my mountain bike is only 22" with the seat post nearly all the way down so i appreciate what folk are telling me just i may be an odd ball - in more ways than one lol

Top Bottom