Wanted...New MTB on budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DrDre2010

So I am after a MTB for around £300 (my original budget was £200 a few weeks ago, but I've upped it for a bit better bike hopefully!).
Obviously I'd prefer discs, hydros if possible, I hate gripshift style gears and by the seems of what I've been reading I want a rigidback with lockout front forks.

But I am very open to suggestions to change my mind as I'm new to the scene.

The best bet so far I think I've seen is:

RockRider 5.3

but is it really worth an extra £120 over:

RockRider 5.2

So please recommend away!

e-rider

crappy member
I'm not sure about £300 but Focus have some amazing deals on MTBs (wiggle.co.uk)

Full XT with Fox forks for a little over 1K

OP
OP
D

DrDre2010

I'm not sure about £300 but Focus have some amazing deals on MTBs (wiggle.co.uk)

Full XT with Fox forks for a little over 1K

Cheers they only have two that hit my budget which are the GT Aggressor 3.0 & Giant Revel 3, but still don't know how they compare as I don't know what frames/gears/brakes etc are better than the next.

PpPete

Legendary Member
http://www.gooutdoor...in-bike-p143987

Similar to the Rockrider 5.3 except 3x8 Shimano instead of 3x9 SRAM and £50 cheaper.

Just got one for my son (13th Birthday presie) in a black & blue colour scheme like this. Personally I think a white saddle on an MTB is folly, but he loves it.

or - depending on size availability .... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=62400
a bit more like the RockRider 5.2 (V brakes)
Been an expensive couple of months - the youngest (10) got one of those for his birthday

OP
OP
D

DrDre2010

[QUOTE 1360938"]
Both good bikes. I'd go for the 5.3. I bought a 5.2 last year and fitted disc brakes, so it's virtually the same now.
[/quote]

Yeah I'm thinking although its an extra £120 it is probably worth it as otherwise I'll end up upgrading in 6 months.

OP
OP
D

DrDre2010

http://www.gooutdoor...in-bike-p143987

Similar to the Rockrider 5.3 except 3x8 Shimano instead of 3x9 SRAM and £50 cheaper.

Just got one for my son (13th Birthday presie) in a black & blue colour scheme like this. Personally I think a white saddle on an MTB is folly, but he loves it.

or - depending on size availability .... http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=62400
a bit more like the RockRider 5.2 (V brakes)
Been an expensive couple of months - the youngest (10) got one of those for his birthday

So it that Raleigh otherwise pretty much the same as the Rockrider 5.3 then? As £50 saving for just a 3x8 instead of 3x9 sounds good to me! Other than the nearest stock is 51 miles away! None in stock in my 3 local stores! :sad:

OP
OP
D

DrDre2010

Cheers so far, quick responses from you guys I love it!

Just got an email from halfords stating certain bikes are 50% off (RRP though) for this weekend only.

Carrera Vulcan - £224.99
Carrera Vengeance Limited Edition - £274.99

Any views on these 2 vs Rockrider 5.3?

OP
OP
D

DrDre2010

Could always take a look at this Kona Lana'I 2011

How does this compare look alright but V brakes? But then I suppose good V's are probably better than crap discs?

OP
OP
D

DrDre2010

[QUOTE 1360946"]
Carrera are good bikes (I've got a Virtuoso roadie), but Halfords doesn't have the best reputation for customer service or technical ability. Plenty of stories around of bikes not being set up properly.
[/quote]

Doesn't surprise! Well I'm just trying to read some reviews on them both now and compare to the 5.3

billflat12

Veteran
not familiar with the carrera vengance but If your not fussed about fancy respected names like kona, specialized, etc. the Carrera kraken has always been a well respected good solid spec model, always comes with excellent value components at full retail price . Never owned one myself but know of 3 close friends who started out on them before splashing out on the above more well known expensive names , if your not too limited for choice i would recommend you take full advantage of halfords 50% off offer to buy the best bike you can afford within your budget , just remember to avoid rear suspension and v brakes if you intend to upgrade to hydro discs later because strong replacement aftermarket disc hub wheels can be quite expensive. ( if you do go for a hydraulic disc model within your price range just try to avoid some of the poorer quality unbranded components, ie, wheel hubs, cranksets, wheel rims. etc. " important & usually more costly to replace" ).

new carrera kraken offered here ( furnished with pink bits so may be the female specific model )
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item415852db0f

halfords typical kracken 09 model spec. as follows

• Approximate Weight (KG): 13.64
  • Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc
  • Chainset: Truvativ Isoflow with Power Spline BB
  • Fork Lock-out : Yes
  • Fork travel: 120mm
  • Forks: Suntour XCR 120mm Travel
  • Frame Material: Aluminium
  • Frame-: 7005 Aluminium
  • Front Brake: Tektro Auriga Comp hydraulic disc brakes
  • Front Mech: SRAM X5
  • Gear Shifters: SRAM X5 27 Speed Trigger
  • Handle Bars: Kalloy Alloy 31.8mm
  • Headset: Semi Integrated
  • Hubs: Formula Alloy Black
  • Number of Gears: 27
  • Pedals: Wellgo Alloy Black
  • Quick Release Wheels: Yes
  • Rear Brake: Tektro Auriga Hydraulic disc
  • Rear Mech: SRAM X5
  • Rims: Double Wall Alloy
  • Saddle: Carrera
  • Seatpost: Kalloy Alloy 31.6mm
  • Stem: Kalloy Alloy 31.8MM
  • Suspension: Front
  • Tyre size: 26 x 2.3
  • Tyres: Continental Speed King
  • Wheel size: 26
  • Frame Colour: Grey

Zoiders

Really? All the old Konas I have come across have been a dream.
And this is the problem.

The lower end bikes are shockingly bad for the money - they have been trading on the name and good reviews surrounding it back in the 90s for about 10 years now.

They do make some OK kit but you either have to pay over the odds for something that is still under specced for the money or see if you can pick something up in a sale.

The Lanai has got a cheap screw on freewheel rear wheel - thats never a good start.

Makins

If you don't mind V-brakes then in my opinion the specialized hard rocks are the best :smile:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=24779&categoryID=60 A little over your budget, but you could probably get a 2010 disk version for £300 :tongue:. I've been told that the frames are brilliant, allowing you to upgrade components but keep the frame when you want to and still have a very good bike. On the other hand the components are less brilliant, and the fork doesn't have a lock out :/

Top Bottom