Wanted...New MTB on budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Screw on freewheels are still availiable and I have seen plenty of manufacturers use them, Raleigh for one were still knocking out 8 speed screw on freewheel bikes until recently, I have seen Diamondbacks with the same arrangement and few Scotts as well.

Kona may have switched over to a cassette for this years model but the Lanai was still equipped with a screw on freewheel a year or two back.

.......but in 7-speed

8 speed freewheels are like hens teeth - SunRace are the only manufacturers and only new old stock exists

The Scotts would have either been 7 speed screw-on or 8 speed cassette

Zoiders

.......but in 7-speed

8 speed freewheels are like hens teeth - SunRace are the only manufacturers and only new old stock exists

The Scotts would have either been 7 speed screw-on or 8 speed cassette
No in 8 speed.

And you can get 8 speed screw ons without a problem from variou suppliers of generic unbranded kit - Raleigh for one if you actualy have the trade brochure and not the naff online catalogue.

And yes Scott have indeed used screw on's as just like Kona their low end kit is extremely bad - worse even.

Alimo!

Regular
Hi,
Just touching on the 'try before you buy' thing. I am looking at the Rockrider 5.3 as well.
The local Decathlon said that they only let you ride around the store. Is that the usual story? Not sure how much use that would be. Halfords didn't even offer that much.

OP
OP
D

DrDre2010

Hi,
Just touching on the 'try before you buy' thing. I am looking at the Rockrider 5.3 as well.
The local Decathlon said that they only let you ride around the store. Is that the usual story? Not sure how much use that would be. Halfords didn't even offer that much.

Yeah that's right with Decathlon thus not much use of knowing what its like in the real world but give you a quick hands on feel.

billflat12

Veteran
few trail centres will be running free demo days , depending on the style of riding you intend to do it may give you a better idea how frame geomertry affects a bikes off road handling.

Shrimp_Stu

I am after a mountain bike too. Liking the look of the Carrera range in Halfords especially as 50% off at the moment - either the Vengeance or the Vulcan. I did sell my 10 year old Vulcan to a mate last year for £30 :ohmy:, wish I had dissed off-roading as now I want a bit of that action. Plus I want a good sturdy bike to attache my kids tag-along bike.

Top Bottom