Wanted recommendations for a point and shoot digital camera.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Note some of the older tough cameras, esp Olympus used oddball memory sticks not standard SD cards. Some high capacity SD cards will not work with older low capacity SD card slots, you may need old sd cards. Older Battery packs may be obsolete pattern. Check the specs.

If we were all still shooting film, I'd say something like a Kodak 127 format. That's about as no-brainer as it gets. Fixed lens, fixed focus, single shutter speed, cartridge film. The slightly posher ones even had a variable aperture.

There's currently very little out there that matches what the OP wants. It's all about bells and whistles these days, and I totally get what the OP is saying - too *much* functionality is a right pain. I have a Canon Ixus 60 that I picked up for £12 in CEX last year. I had to cough up another fiver or so for suitable memory cards (won't take anything bigger than 2Gb) and a reader, but it does it for me when I don't want to take one of my DSLRs out and about. Let's face it, a 1D is not exactly portable or inconspicuous.

Ironically, the least faffy cameras around are the pro level ones but then you really do need to know what you're doing as they don't have any of the, erm... "idiot modes"

I would suggest a bottom end DSLR with either a 28, 35 or 50mm prime lens depending on sensor size and how "wide" you want your field of view to be. If you leave the camera in full auto mode, it is then essentially the same as one of the old-style rangefinders, with the exception that you have AF. Bottom end DSLRs are by far the smallest and lightest, and a prime lens wouldn't add much bulk to the overall package.

BTW, I really dig Canon's 50 1.8 mk2 prime. It might be their cheapest lens, but please don't let that fool you - it's a little cracker, pin sharp, virtually no chromatic aberration and being a 50mm which "sees" at the same viewing angle as the human eye, there is no distortion. I've had mine for 20 years and wouldn't swap it.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Apple XS Max iPhone, superb point and shoot, video, editing ... or possibly Huawei P30 Pro .... Phones are the new cameras ......

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
iPhones are faffy, I have an iPhone it takes good pics, but I don’t want to have to turn it on, slide the screen, press the camera tab, make sure I’ve got the right camera setting then take the photo. I want a one touch / Click action.

cheys03

Veteran
iPhones are faffy, I have an iPhone it takes good pics, but I don’t want to have to turn it on, slide the screen, press the camera tab, make sure I’ve got the right camera setting then take the photo. I want a one touch / Click action.
The later versions of iOS allow you to open the camera app direct from the lock screen and will turn on with a tap to the screen, so a tap then slightly longer tap in the bottom right corner and you’re taking a photo. The default setting is fine for most photos, but doesn’t take long to change if you want to be more creative.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Or the Sony Xperia phones. They have a dedicated physical button on the side that wakes the phone, turns on camera and takes a pic.
Bout as simple as it gets, and the quality is excellent

Landsurfer

Veteran
My grandson uses his iPhone to shoot video and make short films .... the quality of his phone is visibly superior to his Fuji DSLR ....

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My grandson uses his iPhone to shoot video and make short films .... the quality of his phone is visibly superior to his Fuji DSLR ....
Love my iphone too. I got a canvas made of one I took on my local walk earlier this year. It enlarged quite well.

Top Bottom