Wanted - Two Medium Road Bikes (cheapish ...)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Kids are growing up and Santa is coming (social distancing applied ...), so looking for a couple of medium road bikes in decent condition, up to say £200 each. Don't have to be perfect, but decent working order appreciated. Based in Chester.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think Martin @biggs682 might have a few available if you’re into vintage bikes.

eBay often has Wiggins Rouen up for sale in 43cm/48cm versions. Do they fit the bill as they seem to go for around £200

The 48cm seatpost has a 52cm top tube and at 5ft 7 I ride one with a 100mm stem and 175mm cranks.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks @Cycleops

@MartinQ i quite often get offered a selection of road bikes mainly older steel ones but also newer ones , i am based in Northamptonshire so not local .

At the moment i only have 56 & 58cm sized older steel framesin the sub £200 area but tomorrow is another day

I have been looking at a Couple of more modern bikes locally but at this moment they have not been bought

Let me know your thought's re modern or older retro and sizes

OP
OP
M

MartinQ

Guru
Thanks @Cycleops

@MartinQ i quite often get offered a selection of road bikes mainly older steel ones but also newer ones , i am based in Northamptonshire so not local .

At the moment i only have 56 & 58cm sized older steel framesin the sub £200 area but tomorrow is another day

I have been looking at a Couple of more modern bikes locally but at this moment they have not been bought

Let me know your thought's re modern or older retro and sizes

I'm not too bothered about steel/al/... Older is ok, but not too retro.
The kids get out once a week or so in the hols, but not enough to notice any real difference performance wise. They're ~5'7 but growing so was thinking ~56 frame. I've only started to look, but let me know if you come across anything.

OP
OP
M

MartinQ

Guru
Martin - I reckon it would be useful if you shared the two rough frame sizes / inside leg measurement.
Yeah, they're growing kids so that changes. Heights are 5'7 so a medium adult ~56 frame) would hopefully give a bit of room to spare.

OP
OP
M

MartinQ

Guru
eBay often has Wiggins Rouen up for sale in 43cm/48cm versions. Do they fit the bill as they seem to go for around £200

The 48cm seatpost has a 52cm top tube and at 5ft 7 I ride one with a 100mm stem and 175mm cranks.
They're just growing out of ones similar to the 48cm. They've used them during the lockdown, but really they're too small. I realise I could get a longer stem etc, but they're both still growing and it's time for the next size up.

They're just growing out of ones similar to the 48cm. They've used them during the lockdown, but really they're too small. I realise I could get a longer stem etc, but they're both still growing and it's time for the next size up.

In that case you’ll be looking at a small adults 50/51cm frame (54/55cm top tube) which is usually a Xsmall or small adult frame across main brands as 48cm is the largest junior size and takes up to 5ft 8. I wouldn’t go for a 53cm seat tube (56cm top tube) just yet as they will be very stretched out and very “pro” which might put them off riding unless your expecting them to be 5ft 8+.

Any used gravel bike or bike with a sub compact would be good (48/34, 46/34) for smaller legs as they are not trying to turn a 50, 52 or 53 big ring.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MartinQ

Guru
In that case you’ll be looking at a small adults 50/51cm frame (54/55cm top tube) which is usually a Xsmall or small adult frame across main brands as 48cm is the largest junior size and takes up to 5ft 8. I wouldn’t go for a 53cm seat tube (56cm top tube) just yet as they will be very stretched out and very “pro” which might put them off riding unless your expecting them to be 5ft 8+.

Any used gravel bike or bike with a sub compact would be good (48/34, 46/34) for smaller legs as they are not trying to turn a 50, 52 or 53 big ring.
The current ones are xsmall adult tribans and they're just rideable. They're ~5'7 now and as I'm 6'4, there is still a bit of growing left in them, hence the "medium" size. If they were not still growing, you're right it would probably be a small, but for the next 2-3 years, I'd guess ~medium. Their legs are not that small ^_^.

Top Bottom