Wanted: winter hack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking for a road type bike to see me through the winter. Now having tasted the joy of my go-faster road bike, I absolutely hate riding my lump of a hybrid. However, being bad at cleaning (no time with kids) I really don't want to ride go-faster through the bad weather that winter will bring.

So I am looking for a road framed bike, possibly fixed (not too harsh as I have a couple of hills on my commute) to see me through the winter.

I am 5ft 10 inchs tall and my road bike is a 54cm frame (although up to a 56cm frame might be fine).
I have £150 to spend.

I realise that this will not get me a super light frame, and the finest components, but I need something to keep me at least moderately happy through the winter (reserving my hybrid for the icy, snowy days).

So does anyone have anything to offer?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Bumpy, bumpy.

Still looking! :biggrin:

Got a 56cm frame for sale - a Fausto Coppi Treviso. It's standard, not compact.

My other half is 5'10" and it came up slightly big on him but not prohibitively so, however, as it's for a hack it may suit you.

It's in good condition, photo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrmichaelwright/3007832907/in/set-72157608706181438/

You can PM me with an offer if you are interested but just so you know I am on hol for two weeks from 4th Aug.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Kirstie said:
Got a 56cm frame for sale - a Fausto Coppi Treviso. It's standard, not compact.

My other half is 5'10" and it came up slightly big on him but not prohibitively so, however, as it's for a hack it may suit you.

It's in good condition, photo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrmichaelwright/3007832907/in/set-72157608706181438/

You can PM me with an offer if you are interested but just so you know I am on hol for two weeks from 4th Aug.

Thanks for the offer Kirstie, but I'm after a whole bike. I'd love to have the time to build my own up, but time is limited with the kids.

Looks a nice frame!;)

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I'm thinking of flogging my road bike. It's a gold coloured Ridgeback Genesis Day 01 with drop handlebars. It's a 56cm frame, though I've put a shorter stem on it. I'll put a picture up later if you're interested.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Sorry guys. I forgot about this thread.

chris667, I like having the gears on the brake levers, if this isn't the case, then I'm probably not interested, but thanks anyway.

Yellow Fang, yes I might be interested. If you could post more details, and how much you are looking for, that would be great.

Tynan, with all due respect, comments like that aren't particularly helpful. I have a family, a mother suffering from a progressive form of MND, a busy job, and another kid on the way. I don't have time to keep my bikes pristine. If I was to ride my good bike over the winter, (a Glasgow wet winter) it would take its toll on the bike, meaning that bits would need replaced next year. Costly bits (i.e. ultegra). With a hack, that costs less than some of the bits on my good bike, I no longer need to worry, and save money in the long run.

I don't need to justify myself, but for the record I thought I would.

Actually, my bike is a fixed gear. It's a 1950s Rudge.

lordjenks

sorry to steal his thread but i would also be intrested in a hack for around the same price, i didnt want to crete a new thread, obviously magnatom gets first dibs on anything that is posted.
kirsty, how much for that frame?
and i really woundt mind downtube shifters
thanks all

gogadjetgo

hi there. im selling my ambrosio bike, its got a sora group set and is only 10 months old. may be a little expencive if your only wanting to spend 150, was looking for 350. thought id let you know though, im in irvine aswell.
Cheers

Top Bottom