Wanting to get into TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Nice one, based on the last couple of weeks times, you won't come last that is for sure! Plus I bet you will go a bit faster knowing it is official! I recon you will go sub-29 for sure with the adrenaline, provided you get a good run without obstruction!

Other riders will be happy to pass on their experience to help you get better too.

I MAY be down at the Chelford course tomorrow night, I was planning on doing some aero testing, but I doubt I can be arsed and will probably save it for next weekend (or I may ride the Seamons event on Wednesday, EDIT: Or not, as it is cancelled, lol, maybe Westmead then), but may come to watch and catch up with a few friends tomorrow. Will depend on when Tesco turn up with my shopping I expect.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Is this TT business quite relaxed? To me TT races seem really serious and only the super fast enter.
How fast do you have to be for these things without looking like a tit?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That is the list of all "open" time trials run under the CTT. If you want something you can just turn up on the day, pay £3 and thrash yourself over 10 miles, you are looking for "club" events.

The TT's I've done up north (Scotland) are a little more focused probably because entry fees have been higher (BC Silver (or £10 temp insurance +£5 ) but the club TT's I've done in England have been very relaxed (£3 a pop) with folk turning up on all sorts of bikes.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
British Cycling promoted an early season event last year. Iirc run by Stretford Wheelers, Withington Wheelers and Duckinfield CC as their interclub ten, but encouraging new riders to have a go. It was well subscribed and there were people of all abilities. Literally from a lady on a sit up and beg shopper to full on TT rigs with skin suits pointy helmets the lot. Cake and a brew was consumed by most afterwards and the chat was all good. The evening ones tend to be a little less social afterwards but everyone is friendly and there is a full mix of abilities.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I like the idea of doing one but scared, trying to plan out my year, goals etc
Do it, I love 'em.
When I started a few years ago I was doing 30min+ times - I got faster, got some aero bars, got a bit faster still. Lost weight, trained harder and got a bit faster!
This year I've got a pointy helmet and I might even splash out on a skin suit.
It's addictive, fun and it's given me a great focus for my cycling.

SWSteve

Guru
Just taken a look at this thread, very promising reading. I'm going to put myself into some club TTs this year, however the club I was thinking of joining (their base will be 5 minute walk from where I will be living next week) but they don't seem to bother with a 10TT. There's a 10 which runs around 3 miles from current home, may use the ride there as a warm up.

Someone bought me some tri-bars for christmas, I had better use them

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Do it, I love 'em.
When I started a few years ago I was doing 30min+ times - I got faster, got some aero bars, got a bit faster still. Lost weight, trained harder and got a bit faster!
This year I've got a pointy helmet and I might even splash out on a skin suit.
It's addictive, fun and it's given me a great focus for my cycling.

Plus 30mins, so is the aim to get over an average of 20mph for a -30min ride?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes, a 30 minute ride is 20 mph and is often referred to as evens. Easily done on a road bike without any aero aids so don't feel pressured to buy anything.

Top Bottom