War Films?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Great Escape thread has teetered towards suggestions of great war films people may not have seen.

I am strictly a pacifist by instinct, intellect and action, but I did enjoy (if it's the right word) the following less-well-known works:

Paths of Glory (Kirk Douglas bleak and political)
Pretty Village, Pretty Flame (Serbian - original title Lepa Sela Lepo Gore. Mindblowing and strongly evocative of the madness. Beautifully observed in the build-up to conflict).
The Way Ahead (David Niven - obvious propaganda, but none the worse for it).

What are your 'little known gems'?

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Zulu.
Dambusters.
Full Metal Jacket.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Highest Honour.
True story of one of the WWII Singapore Harbour raids by Aussie forces.
Stars Atsuo Nakamura (Lin Chung on The Water Margin)
The final scenes of the movie are harrowing.

U

User482

It's well worth watching Flags of our Fathers, about the battle of Iwo Jima, and the mythology surrounding that iconic photo of raising the American flag. I haven't yet seen the sequel Letters from Iwo Jima which tells the same story from the Japanese side.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's well worth watching Flags of our Fathers, about the battle of Iwo Jima, and the mythology surrounding that iconic photo of raising the American flag. I haven't yet seen the sequel Letters from Iwo Jima which tells the same story from the Japanese side.

I much preferred Letters from Iwo Jima.
Really showed the desperation of the Japanese conscripts trapped on the island and the blind, stubborn patriotism of their officers.
Some very horrific scenes in the movie.

U

User6179

Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Black Book - Dutch film about the Dutch resistance during WW2.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I recently watched Went The Day Well? (1942) after it being recommended on Entertainment Chat. From the synopsis it was obvious this film was later remade as The Eagle Has Landed, and like many remakes, was far inferior to the original (although i do enjoy TEHL)... so that's my recommendation...

Went_the_Day_Well_Poster.jpg

thom

____
Defiance is good - a true story about a Polish Jewish population in WWII - Daniel Craig
Paris brûle-t-il ? - an interesting story about how Hitler wanted to blow up Paris' beautiful monuments when the german army was leaving

Top Bottom