Warm Toes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Overshoes would probably be more effective, don't get ones that are very tight, there should be enough gap to trap air.

More or thicker socks may restrict blood to your toes and/or decrease the amount of warm air that can be trapped.

Blonde

You needs merino wool socks. Very warm but a lot less bulky than synthetic ones of similar warmth. Smartwool and Defeet are some brands. When I did 200 km on an icy minus three day I wore a very thin/wicking pair of synthetic socks by 1000mile that i usually wear for 30 degree heat, and my warmest Defeet 'Woolie Boolie' socks over the top. I also wore Assos overshoes over my shoes and it worked a treat. Usually on my commute (13 miles each way) I only need to wear the Woolie Boolies on their own and without overshoes though, even when it's below freezing. You also need to make sure your shoes are not too tight. Shoes with plenty of toe room will be warmer.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
New socks, never before worn are always best, no matter what type. Once they've been washed, or worn for more than a few hours, they lose that nice fluffiness that makes them warm.

Trouble is, if you buy new socks for every ride, you'll soon have an awful lot of socks...

Tynan

Veteran
waiting for the adaptor for my new Diadora chillies, getting on alright with overshoes but it's one more bit of hassle to put on take off every trip, that and the overshoes won't last daily use

merino socks noted

Commuter

Uncle Phil said:
New socks, never before worn are always best, no matter what type. Once they've been washed, or worn for more than a few hours, they lose that nice fluffiness that makes them warm.

Trouble is, if you buy new socks for every ride, you'll soon have an awful lot of socks...

Sell them on Ebay - it's amazing what crap seems to sell on there ..

domtyler

Über Member
I haven't got merino socks but I just use the M&S Lambswool ones that you can buy in a pack of five, I think I have about three packs altogether! :angry:
Ther are fine for work but also keep my toes warm on the commute too. :angry:

OP
OP
S

slow Al

Many thanks for your replies and recommendations, I will certainly try the Woolie boolies as soon as I can.

Happy cycling.

Regards,

Slow Al

bonj2

Blonde said:
You needs merino wool socks. Very warm but a lot less bulky than synthetic ones of similar warmth. Smartwool and Defeet are some brands. When I did 200 km on an icy minus three day I wore a very thin/wicking pair of synthetic socks by 1000mile that i usually wear for 30 degree heat, and my warmest Defeet 'Woolie Boolie' socks over the top. I also wore Assos overshoes over my shoes and it worked a treat. Usually on my commute (13 miles each way) I only need to wear the Woolie Boolies on their own and without overshoes though, even when it's below freezing. You also need to make sure your shoes are not too tight. Shoes with plenty of toe room will be warmer.

you wear merino OVER synthetic?
i would have done it the other way round, merino's good next to the skin

Tynan

Veteran
got my diadora chillis. got my cleats, got the adaptors

damn the cleats stick out, no fun walking in them I can tell you, lots of sock work coming up

short ride to the sorting office tomorrow, well, three odd miles anyway

and then the barbers, two odd miles

and hopefully all set for Monday

OP
OP
S

slow Al

Well out today in sunny but chilly Renfrewshire, quick 25 miles with my new pair of Woolie Boolie socks on.

Tootsies were still nice and warm on my return, yet another excellent piece of cycling gear.

Again many thanks for the recommendation.

Slow Al

Top Bottom