Warm up before cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonny42

Regular
Hi all
Pretty new to this cycling and was just wondering if it's essential to do warm up exercises before a long cycle. Now as I'm only starting a long cycle to me is about 20 to 25 miles, I know this isn't much reading some of the threads on this site. If warm ups are essential is there any tips etc anyone could give.
Thanks

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The easiest warm-up is to sit yourself comfortably on the bike and pedal gently for a few miles.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I would agree with the above. Take the first few miles easy, let your legs warm up and the breathing settle down. As you are starting off I'm guessing that youa re not looking to blast around, so a nice easy pace will be ideal.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The easiest warm-up is to sit yourself comfortably on the bike and pedal gently for a few miles.
^^ It's what the professionals do,but they're not allowed to start riding the route and the area near the start tends to be chaotic so they have to pedal while going nowhere, poor souls!

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I've never done any proper warm up exercises. As long as you don't start belting around the place as soon as you leave the house, but go at a warm-up pace for the first few miles you should be fine.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I know the feeling, that's me most days !
Take the rear wheel out of the turbo trainer stand...

OP
OP
J

Jonny42

Regular
Thanks for all the replies guys. I probably have been going out a bit hard and struggling back home. Will be going out later today and will take it a bit easier in the first few miles.

ozboz

Guru
I have a route to start off with, that is flat for about a mile , then a gradient about a mile , then I feel im ok for the days riding, but also , on the way back I go on low gears and high cadence , about a mile or so , just as a warm down as it is called by some , never had stiff or sore legs ,

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi all
Pretty new to this cycling and was just wondering if it's essential to do warm up exercises before a long cycle. Now as I'm only starting a long cycle to me is about 20 to 25 miles, I know this isn't much reading some of the threads on this site. If warm ups are essential is there any tips etc anyone could give.
Thanks
I've never warmed up or stretched for any ride, of any distance, over any period. I find cycling isn't high impact so as others say just take it easy for a while. I do find that it takes me about 45 minutes to get "into" it and feel warmed up, up until then I feel more breathless and stiffer...(not breathless so much as out of breath more easily) after an hour I feel loose, am breathing easy and have unlocked my stamina reserves a little whilst I get into a rhythm.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
That is true, but there is a bit of a problem when the route takes you straight up a steep hill! Some of my favourite rides round here have me climbing 15+% in less than 2 miles. Several of them are less than a mile away from home.
Same here, to get anywhere from where I am you have to go up.

Top Bottom