Warm up times..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deanno1dad

Über Member
Is it just me..every time I go out on the bike..be it summer or winter..the first few miles hurt and I get the "I want to give up" feeling.

Normally I'm happy on a 25 mile plus ride as well ,which makes it more weirder as I can be puffing like a steam train for the first 3 miles..it probably doesn't help that my ride to a more rural location takes me up an immediate hill...Do we all need a 3 mile warm up to get in the zone as it were.

The short/simple answer is yes. You will function at higher level easier and for longer if you spend 10-15 mins riding easy/steady first, before ramping up the effort.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I too have to go uphill to get out of the village and would love a flat stretch to warm up on.
I do sometimes go for a brisk walk before I go for a ride. Seems to help. Doing 5 to 10 minutes steps also helps but I can't always be bothered.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
It takes me a couple of miles to get the legs warmed up and working properly. It is a nice feeling when the legs start to work effortlessly.:bicycle:

Octet

Veteran
Yep, I find that I need a couple of miles to begin with to get the knee caps loose and the legs turning efficiently. Prior to this, I find I can got nowhere near my average speed without them hurting.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The first few miles of my commute to work are like this, especially on chilly mornings. I have roughly 250 ft of climbing in the first 3 miles, so no time to warm up before the climbing starts. So I spend those first few miles telling my legs to shut up.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The first few miles of my commute to work are like this, especially on chilly mornings. I have roughly 250 ft of climbing in the first 3 miles, so no time to warm up before the climbing starts. So I spend those first few miles telling my legs to shut up.
I don't know how many feet I have in the first few miles of my 10 mile commute but I do feel better after about 1-2 miles. It doesn't take more than that. If I push too hard sooner then my legs do complain, but I don't think it affects me later on anyway?

Edit: I checked, only 130ft climbing in the first 2.5 miles of my commute and I never knew that at the half way point I was lower than when I started. I actually cover 10.4 miles, ascend 480ft but descend 570ft. This normally takes around 35-40 minutes.

Top Bottom