Warmer gear needed (jacket & tights)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After this evening's 12 mile ride in a very brisk east anglian breeze, I've come to the conclusion that my current kit really isn't warm enough now that the weather has taken a turn for the distinctly autumnal. I'm wearing bog standard running long sleeve base layer and leggings under a waterproof cycling jacket and shorts and returned home feeling somewhat chilled.

I've had a brief gander and the Decathlon 500 series jacket & tights seem to fit the bill (and the budget), but does anyone have any experience / thoughts about this or similar alternatives?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The best jacket I have ever owned in the warmth and waterproof stakes is the NIghtvision Evo. Nothing has come close for the price.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The 500's are good, the 700 Membranes are even better as they're wind proof and although not advertised as waterproof they do a good job of keeping the rain out if you're caught in a shower, or on wet roads.
Personally, I've found anything in the 500 range or above at Decathlon is decent stuff at the price.

Planet X also have some good stuff and a range of constantly changing offers which can give some real bargains, but the sizing can be a bit odd.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Mmmm, my current shorts and jacket are Aldi, and they aren't bad for the price. I'll be passing by a Decathlon next week anyway, so will drop in to have a gander - and hopefully find warm stuff that fits. It's a pain buying fitness clothing when you're a short and curvy lady - ladies' lycra seems to be made for elongated stick insects... :whistle:
Have only just begun to thaw out... :cold:

Have you tried wearing a fleece jersey as a midlayer? Once you have the base and shell sorted almost anything works as midlayer insulation. Is your shell breathable enough? Gloves and a neck tube add a lot of temp control for little bulk or weight.

dim

I use the construction jackets from Sports Direct:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-hi-vis-bomber-jacket-mens-634001?colcode=63400112

61al1jZc%2B4L._UL1425_.jpg

costs £19 .... is very warm, waterproof, hi-viz, and has loads of pockets

the waterproof matching pants are also cheap

Attachments

• 61al1jZc%2B4L._UL1425_.jpg
    61al1jZc%2B4L._UL1425_.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 37

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Edited its fugly as hell!
And probably not very breathable hence as sweaty as it is fugly.

As above layers are key. My skiing base layers get used a lot for winter cycling, warm and wicking. Roubaix tights over bib shorts, gives a couple of layers to keep the gentleman vegetable area warm (may or may not be such an issue for women). When I gets really cold I have a foska soft shell/ winter jacket which whilst not fully waterproof is as good as anything as it's wind proof and keeps you warm.

Shoes covers to keep the toes warm and decent gloves and a cap or buff etc under the lid

Top Bottom