Warmer gear needed (jacket & tights)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dim

Edited its fugly as hell!

when it comes to keeping warm when the temp is -7 degrees C, it's dark, with a bone chilling 25km/hr icy headwind, and pouring rain, and I have to cycle 45km per day on my commute, I dont care if I look 'fashionable' or if I smell bad ...

add decent winter gloves, a thick scarf and you are good to go

these work, and they are cheap. Thats why they are issued to construction workers

I used mine throughout the last winter on a daily basis

I suppose there are similar nicer looking designer branded coats/jackets that cost several times more

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I have to admit I'm a practical kinda gal. Will have a look at the coat anyway - seems a shame to dismiss it out of hand. Besides, in that shade of screaming orange, I won't get anyone complaining that they can't see me... :laugh:

Hands and feet were ok - was wearing some nice thermal socks and a pair of gloves. I think it's more that my layers are too thin. Maybe a lightweight fleece in between the base layer and jacket (although again with aforementioned stick insect construction on the jacket that might not be so easy), but it was my derriere and knees that felt the cold most even though I was wearing padded shorts *and* leggings.

I ride mainly for fitness as opposed to transportation - don't mind getting caught in the odd shower, but I generally don't go out when it's raining. Like my cats, I'm something of a wuss when it's precipitating from the sky... :whistle:

Appreciate the advice though, you've all given me a few other things to consider. :okay:

dim

I have to admit I'm a practical kinda gal. Will have a look at the coat anyway - seems a shame to dismiss it out of hand. Besides, in that shade of screaming orange, I won't get anyone complaining that they can't see me... :laugh:

Hands and feet were ok - was wearing some nice thermal socks and a pair of gloves. I think it's more that my layers are too thin. Maybe a lightweight fleece in between the base layer and jacket (although again with aforementioned stick insect construction on the jacket that might not be so easy), but it was my derriere and knees that felt the cold most even though I was wearing padded shorts *and* leggings.

I ride mainly for fitness as opposed to transportation - don't mind getting caught in the odd shower, but I generally don't go out when it's raining. Like my cats, I'm something of a wuss when it's precipitating from the sky... :whistle:

Appreciate the advice though, you've all given me a few other things to consider. :okay:

on other forums, guys in the USA and Canada say that Merino wool sweaters etc used as undergarments are the bee's knees when it comes to cold .... Some say that Alpaca wool is 3 times warmer than merino wool ....

dim

Don't ever think for one second that a motorist will see you just because you are wearing hi-viz clothing. Especially at night when hi-viz doesn't work.

ever seen anyone riding with a Proviz jacket at night?

they look like Casper the Ghost .... brilliant.... not cheap, and well worth the money:

it's a lot brighter than what the youtube video shows

hi-viz on other jackets also is very good .... you obviously dont cycle much at night, as if you did, you would spot the cyclists with reflective clothing on dark roads from far (assuming that you use decent lights on your bike?)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
hi-viz on other jackets also is very good .... you obviously dont cycle much at night, as if you did, you would spot the cyclists with reflective clothing on dark roads from far (assuming that you use decent lights on your bike?)

I do more night ride cycling then you could ever imagine.
Don't mix up reflectives with hi-viz. The Proviz jacket is reflective not hi-viz. Hi-Viz at night is washed out like any other colour.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Mmmmmm, well I don't ride at night. As anyone living in this neck of the woods will tell you, there are too many potholes and drainage ditches to want to really venture out after dark on a bike... Fen roads are best left to cycling in daylight hours unless one has a wish to end up decorating the scenery :blush:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi @Reynard, if you want warmth on the legs on a budget and you don't go out much in the wet, try a pair of Aldi's (or any other retailer's, Aldi is probably cheaper) riding jodhpurs, I don't wear padded shorts, but they could be worn under.
They are quite stretchy, don't get too big a size or they sag at the ankle.
The workman's jacket linked above, apart from being horrid visually, looks quite bulky for cycling. A jacket in the Altura range if you catch it on sale combined with a skiing baselayer (see TKMax for bargains) would give you plenty warmth.
I have an Aldi winter softshell too, it's very warm but not at all waterproof.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
@vickster - with the number of potholes on some of the roads, riding a good distance from the edge can be... difficult... :laugh:

@Pat "5mph" - thanks for the advice :okay: I'll definitely check out Aldi and TKMaxx for the below the waist issues. I did notice some very thin fleeces in sports direct the other day (went in to get some ping pong balls for the cats) - not warm enough to wear as a fleece / jumper per se, but might be just the thing for layering.

VintageRuby

Clinging on for dear life.
@vickster - with the number of potholes on some of the roads, riding a good distance from the edge can be... difficult... :laugh:

@Pat "5mph" - thanks for the advice :okay: I'll definitely check out Aldi and TKMaxx for the below the waist issues. I did notice some very thin fleeces in sports direct the other day (went in to get some ping pong balls for the cats) - not warm enough to wear as a fleece / jumper per se, but might be just the thing for layering.

This is my first winter cycling, and so far two pairs of leggings seem to be doing the trick, and i have a spare pair of light cargo pants in case i'm really cold , and i have a yellow AsBoldAs cycling jacket that i won the other week in a competition, which is waterproof and windproof, it's light but super warm :smile: the snag is it's normally £115!

T4tomo

Legendary Member

How the heck do the cats manage to hold the ping pong bat? They are more talented than mine.

Are you leggings just like normal leggings or are they "roubaix" or thermal lined leggings that have a fleece like inside to them, as those are what you need to keep your legs and bum warm, worn over your regular padded shorts.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Well, I went to Decathlon in Surrey Quays yesterday - was in the area, so figured I could just as well pick up some cold weather gear. Aside from the usual problem that lycra in general doesn't seem to be made for short ladies with curves, their sizing appeared to be a bit odd. I was between sizes, so went up a size rather than down.

I picked up a pair of fleecy lined leggings (my other ones are just bog standard lycra) - the 300 series ones as the others just didn't feel comfy. They're a bit on the loose side, but that was semi-intentional as I plan on layering with my ordinary leggings. And I also acquired one winter jacket. The money I saved on the leggings I used to upgrade the jacket. Bought the 700 series rather than the 500 on the basis that it was a) windproof (the biggest bugbear for cycling out in the fens is the wind), b) it had zips on the pockets and c) was longer in the body which means it covers my bum. Looks like they'll get a good workout later this week...

@T4tomo - the girls just like to chase the things and are forever losing them. Besides, empty bath tub + ping pong balls + one tortoiseshell cat = an afternoon's entertainment ^_^

@VintageRuby - nice score on the jacket. :okay: Lucky you, I never win anything LOL

Top Bottom