Warp tyres, is it safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kiwifruit

Über Member
Brought some maxxis high roller a couple months ago to replace the continentals and fitted as tubeless. Once fitted the back tyre wobble side to side when you spin the wheel, I thought the rim need re-turning and took it to a mechanic that I know. He said the rim is fine, he took the tyre off and reseated it again and it still wobble so he think is warped. Left it for a few weeks and I have swap the front tyre to the back and vice verse. Now back tyre is fine and front wobble a bit from side to side. Just wonder if is safe to ride?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Maybe you have mounted the tyres in the wrong direction.

Stompier

Make sure it's seated properly - inflate fully to max psi - which will reseat the bead - and then release pressure down to your desired amount again. If it still wobbles then there's something else wrong.

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member
Make sure it's seated properly - inflate fully to max psi - which will reseat the bead - and then release pressure down to your desired amount again. If it still wobbles then there's something else wrong.
Yes it is seated properly, I have fully inflate to the max of 60 psi and left it over night and release the pressure the next day. It still wobble but not as bad.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If you look at the tyre just above the rim you will see a constant line on the tyre, about 5mm up from the rim.

Rotate the wheel and observe this line.
If that moves up and down then the tyre is most likely sitting on the rim tape ect.
Resetting the rim tape or tube less kit will sort it.
Unless you have solid rims.

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member
If you look at the tyre just above the rim you will see a constant line on the tyre, about 5mm up from the rim.

If that moves up and down then the tyre is most likely sitting on the rim tape ect.
I will check, If it sitting on the rim tape will I have to reseat it again or put new rim tape?

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member

Is just a bit usual as it was the back tyre, and now I swap it to the front. The back is fine now but front wobble a bit.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Is just a bit usual as it was the back tyre, and now I swap it to the front. The back is fine now but front wobble a bit.

It may be a distorted tyre.
Or it has a thick bit at the bead " bit that seats on the rim" I'd not worry too much if it's just a small wobble.

Quite common on tyres due to the way they are made.
It may settle after a few rides

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member
It may be a distorted tyre.
Or it has a thick bit at the bead " bit that seats on the rim" I'd not worry too much if it's just a small wobble.

Quite common on tyres due to the way they are made.
It may settle after a few rides
[/QUOTE

just checked the tyres again all seated correctly and pointed in the correct direction, hope it will be fine after a few more rides.

Top Bottom