Warranties, are they in your list when looking for a new bike..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m looking for a C2W new bike, and notice that there are quite a few around of the type I like. The issue I have is warranty, which can be as short as 2 years, to lifetime for original owner.
I’m looking at fazua and an adventure/gravel, principally for leisure but also maybe for commuting around 20 miles each way occasionally.
Not really interested in advice for which bike, or from whom, rather, what do you consider to be ‘enough’.
I’m middle aged and can feel my body beginning to reduce in stamina, so that’s why an e bike, but I’m close enough to off road tracks and woodland so consider this to be best as this one is likely to be my last bike purchase (ever)...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Never enters my mind

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
Mmm, that’s been my consideration too, after checking warranties!
I’m not sure carbon would satisfy my ‘last ever bike purchase’!
I see you have a Sabbath Ti, are you happy with the weight of this, and is it pretty light?

vickster

Legendary Member
Mmm, that’s been my consideration too, after checking warranties!
I’m not sure carbon would satisfy my ‘last ever bike purchase’!
I see you have a Sabbath Ti, are you happy with the weight of this, and is it pretty light?
Umm I think it’s around 11kg?
Yep it’s a lovely ride, I spent a year looking at every Ti bike under about 4k and decided on the Sabbath (although it’s not being ridden at the moment as knee doesn’t allow clipping in these days and ive not got round to swapping to flats :rolleyes:)

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
Ah, I understand about the knee. One of the reasons I’m looking at this is similar issues, and soon to have the 20 mile occasional commute.
you’ve all been a great help in strengthening my desire for a longer warranty!
thanks 🙏

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I don't think the thought has ever entered my head. I've got one carbon bike, 3 aluminium and one steel in the garage and I have no idea what the warranty was on any of them. The oldest is 12 years old if that's germane to the discussion, the youngest is 5 months.
I can't say I expect any of them to fail in my lifetime.

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
The oldest is 12 years old if that's germane to the discussion, the youngest is 5 months.

Thanks. Is the carbon the 12 year old one? I’m hoping to have 12 years from the next purchase, but am edge about why carbon seems to have only a short warranty, particularly if being used in mildly off-road locations..?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
All things being equal I would use warranty as a small part of the purchasing decision. However, although a lot of my bikes have a long warranty, lifetime in some cases I am not sure the companies will be around to claim.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Thanks. Is the carbon the 12 year old one? I’m hoping to have 12 years from the next purchase, but am edge about why carbon seems to have only a short warranty, particularly if being used in mildly off-road locations..?

No the carbon bike is three years old and the 12 year old is aluminium. But I have no doubts I'll still be riding the carbon one at the 12 year point, and if I'm not, someone will be! It's carbon fibre, it's incredibly strong stuff. Unless you crash it of course!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's not been a consideration for me. As it happens my Cervelo has a lifetime warranty. My Dolan had two - that was 15 years ago!!

There are plenty of manufacturers who do offer a lifetime warranty. I don't think I'd be very confident in getting a frame replaced after 15 years use and perhaps 50-60,000 miles. There's also the question of what is reasonable. A free replacement after 15 years? Seems an unreasonable expectation to me.

You are looking at an e-bike. If I was doing so I would be very concerned about the battery performance and warranty. This would be a prime consideration.

Top Bottom