Was I mad? Help to identify a couple of old bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Esroh

Esroh

Regular
Ok I finally got hold of them.
Gents is badged a Humber, has a humber Chainwheel, and a Humber Lamp thingy :-). Only thing missing is a Front Break Lever . I have the rest of it.
Wheels. Front wheel is rough and the Hub is branded New Hudson
Back one is better and seems to have a raleigh stamp on the hub
Saddle is grand and leather been treated with Goose Grease. (best leather treatment)
IMG_0209[1].JPG IMG_0204[1].JPG IMG_0201[1].JPG The rust is very much surface and the problem i now face is. Do i want to have an Old bike that looks new or do I want an old bike that shows its history but works as it should. I intend to use this as my run around. I live a mile out of town and so rather than take the car i have used my road bike for small shopping trips or even pub trips.

classic33

Leg End Member
Link for high Nellies given earlier as they appear to carry/sell replacement parts.

classic33

Leg End Member
Are you able to try the angling shop in Foxford?
Their grandparents had the shop when it was the local Raleigh dealer.

classic33

Leg End Member
They may still have the records, can't be certain on that part. 80 odd years is a fair amount of records to keep.
On the left as you walked up to the Church of Ireland, Its changed hand a few times in the last few years. Google Earth showing it as a Gala store now

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Ok I finally got hold of them.
Gents is badged a Humber, has a humber Chainwheel, and a Humber Lamp thingy :-). Only thing missing is a Front Break Lever . I have the rest of it.
Wheels. Front wheel is rough and the Hub is branded New Hudson
Back one is better and seems to have a raleigh stamp on the hub
Saddle is grand and leather been treated with Goose Grease. (best leather treatment)
View attachment 86223 View attachment 86224 View attachment 86225 The rust is very much surface and the problem i now face is. Do i want to have an Old bike that looks new or do I want an old bike that shows its history but works as it should. I intend to use this as my run around. I live a mile out of town and so rather than take the car i have used my road bike for small shopping trips or even pub trips.

Yes the Humber 'Wheel Of Life' chainring is a giveaway, but obviously it was unseen on the original pics.

As for the rest, well, it is up to you unfortunately, but it needs a definite clean up and if done properly, it could turn out to be a nice specimen!

classic33

Leg End Member
Try talcum powder or flour in the number. Might make it easier to read.

OP
OP
Esroh

Esroh

Regular
Ok Guys I need Help
The lock nut has beed got at in the past. Id guess a vice grips as its pockmarked. It is stuck solid. I filed the sides very gently to get if grip able with the spanner but cannot shift it.
The duplex fork is quite flexable so its hard to keep pressure on the wheel and work the to spanners.
All ideas appreciated
Otherwise everything is easy enough to remove so this is a serious hold up.
Thanks in advance

Would be easier to show with pics but I dont have that luxury so here goes. Considering the ancients could use any thread or nut they could lay there hands on bsf bsw etc rarely metric.my tip to remove the nut.

After applying penetrating oil, take a nut and bolt 12 mm nut is usually ok the length of the bolt side as long as you can. trap the awkward nut between the nut and bolt, gentle tightening will give purchase and not help if previous attempts have rounded the shoulders.ideally leaving the stem at "10 o clock as you look at it. take a ring spanner with decennt length place over the shaft of the bolt. ( pointing towards the back wheel ) Give a swift tap with a hammer and hey presto the offending nut plays the game.

Andy

classic33

Leg End Member
Assuming you're talking about the headset, has the locknut been tightened down onto the top of the steerer tube? Possibly spreading the top of the tube slightly.

Have you tried tightening the lower nut, seperating it from the locknut!

Either way freeing the piece from years of rust is the priority.

Last edited:
Top Bottom