Was I over-cautious here (driving related)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I was once stuck for 30 mins behind a tractor all because the car immediately behind wouldn't overtake.

The angry driver had probably one or two similar bad memories - personally I would have done what you did.

It's always been my personal pet theory that the large queues behind slow moving vehicles aren't really caused by the slow moving vehicle itself but people who either have no intention of overtaking or sit so close behind that they can't even see if it's safe to overtake and there is then no room for anyone who does want to move his way up through the queue of cars to go.

GrasB

Veteran
Overtaking needs space, not only space in the other lane but also space in front of you for visibility reasons. Also you want that space to use as an acceleration zone. In a properly executed overtake you should have developed a significant speed difference before you've committed to the overtake.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
You have to go on your perception at the time, and it does not sound to me like you were too cautious. Why take a risk ?

I was cycling home up the A38 yesterday, there were two oncoming cars waiting to cross my path into a side road. The first driver was waiting patiently for me to clear the junction, whereas the cockwomble in the white BMW behind her was trying to steer around her, and getting his knickers in a right old twist, because he hadn't seen me cycling along and couldn't understand why the car in front of him had not turned. I thanked the lady and gave her a big smile, and waved and smiled at the cockwomble too, for good measure.

screenman

Legendary Member
The biggest problem around rural Lincolnshire is that people are often happy to drive behind the farm vehicle ( nothing wrong with at all ) the problem arises when they drive just close enough that anyone wanting to overtake has to overtake 2 vehicles before they can pull back in. I welcome anyone to come for a 15 minute drive with me in my local area to prove this theory is correct.

Top Bottom