Was it you...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Driving a smallish food-grade tanker lorry on the road between Otley and Leeds on Saturday?

Just that the driver performed the most exemplary overtaking of a cyclist I've seen in ages, and deserves a pat on the back. Indicated right, moved out a whole lane, waited until well past, indicated back in... Lovely.:biggrin: Just wondered if it meant he might also cycle...

On another topic, the friend I was with is one of those people who once had to go on a speed awareness course to avoid points. In Wakefield there was a long stretch of road with a 30 limit and several cameras in a row, and I noticed he did about 35 most of the time, then braked to 30 over the camera lines (that sort of barcode on the road) and then speeded back up once over the lines, until the next set. So much for awareness. Brings home the idea that many people don't care about speeding, only about getting caught... :blush: :rolleyes:

Probably Rhythm Thief! :rolleyes:

wafflycat

Where I live there's a quarry up the road and the quarry HGV drivers are exceedingly courteous. If you can, drop the company that owns the vehicle a line and give positive feedback about the driving you've seen, asking that the feedback is passed along to the company drivers. It is appreciated by the drivers, as mostly people only write to complain, and as people tend to respond better to *positive* stuff rather than negative stuff all the time, it may just extend the good practice you've seen.

hi arch, just wish there were more drivers like the one you mentioned, i rode from ripley to york last tuesday and counted five lorry driving pricks that did'nt even attempt to move over when passing, i love peddling in the shire just some people don't respect their fellow road users.

Big Bren

In Wakefield there was a long stretch of road with a 30 limit and several cameras in a row

I live in Wakefield and know exactly the stretch of road you mean. Those cameras are still relatively new and I'm afraid the majority of people drive through them exactly the way your friend did - accelerating to above the speed limit then braking sharply at the camera. Most annoying.

Bren

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sadly, I don't remember it having any company livery, or I would write. All I remember was it was white and green.

Yeah, bren, I didn't say anything, perhaps I should have, but it was interesting behaviour. My friend was keen to tell me that he'd been on the course and that he's slowed down a lot since - mind you, when it looked hit and miss that I'd catch a particular train home he said "Do you want me to try and get you there for it?" which made me wonder how he intended to get there any faster...:rolleyes:

I mean, I've been guilty of speeding up towards a National Speed Limit sign before I get there, and it would be a fair cop if I got caught. But it seemed even more pointless when it was patently clear that there was another camera in a few hundred yards... He was 'only' doing 35 tops, so it wasn't as if he was flooring it, but even so, why not just stick to 30?

Big Bren

I think the locals do it out of frustration - the road in question was a notorious rat run and despite being in a residential area, would routinely see people hit 60, particularly Burberry cap clad Citroen Saxo drivers, of which Wakey has more than its fair share.

The cameras have stopped all that without really improving the standard of driving - it's still crap, but in a different way!

Interesting point about speaking up - I find it's quite a socially uncomfortable thing to do, particularly with friends or family. I have done it though, and received responses of varying degrees of robustness.

Bren

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Big Bren said:
Interesting point about speaking up - I find it's quite a socially uncomfortable thing to do, particularly with friends or family. I have done it though, and received responses of varying degrees of robustness.

Bren

Yeah, people react in different ways - and it depends on such a fine judgement of how well you know someone, how friendly you are with them, all sorts. Plus I think a lot of people really resent any implication that they're not the best driver in the world (especially if they know they're in the wrong).

This same friend (you're going to wonder why we are friends at this rate) was making a remark about the amount of Asian people living in Keigthley and the problems of Asian youths causing trouble. I can't remember how it got round to it from that, but I mentioned the large Asian population in Leicester, and he said "Oh, is it as bad as that?". I just said "I don't regard it as bad at all" and went on to list all the advantages (running the local industry, great curry, wonderful multicultural markets and shops etc). I like to think my positive approach was better than lecturing him on casual racism, but how well my point was made, I don't know. It certainly made the point that I didn't feel the same as him.

Also, you worry that if you're always lecturing people, you'll get a reputation for it...

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Well now if he's a Yorkshireman you could try the cost of petrol/wear and tear angle - you know speeding up and braking = less money in his pocket + more time minus car for repairs in the garage. Would work on a Scotsman too perhaps ............................

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Nah, Scouser. So, yeah, I know, it's a miracle he still has wheels on his car...;)

(He made that joke himself, so I'm allowed to...:o)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Arch said:
Nah, Scouser. So, yeah, I know, it's a miracle he still has wheels on his car...;)

(He made that joke himself, so I'm allowed to...:o)

do you think they considered this whan deciding to start the tour of britain stage from liverpool? david miller could go through a couple of wheels before he's even got to the starting line for a change :ohmy:

Top Bottom