Was knocked off the bike this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
Since cycling I've had a few near misses with cars/vans. but this morning, one car I could not avoid.
7.30am,Cycling along the road as you do,(was doing about 18mph) spotted 2 parked cars about 50 yards in front,
so looked behind before I moved out, a black car was behind about 40 yards back. so I moved out to over take the cars, As I just pasting the last car, the car behind was at the side of me, with the left indicator on.
Then the car just pulled over to the left as if going to park, like I was not even there, I had no where to go, so braked and used the car to lean on, then a unplaned dismount onto the pavment, My elbow and shoulder took the fall, got up,looked at the driver, and asked what the hell was she doing.

She just looked at me like,oh where did you come from, I told her that she just knocked me off my bike,
her reply, well I was indicating, well give me a chance to past 1st I said to her.
To be honest I don't even think she seen me.
The bike was ok, just the bar tape got a few marks on it.
There was no one about so I had no witnesses, so not alot I could do, but did tell her she does need a eye test, and a few other choice words.
I was ok just a cut on the elbow

My elbow and shoulder.
felloff.jpg
felloff1.jpg

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Report it to the police, you were injured and she needs to realise that her poor observation can have serious consequences.

GC

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yikes - I'm glad that you were not more badly hurt, Paul!

What is up with these drivers? I very nearly got the same treatment when riding back from a local audax event. The stupid driver was alongside me, accelerating towards oncoming traffic which was going to force him to cut across me, when at the last moment he realised that there were two other CycleChatters in front of me blocking his left turn! He ended up slamming on his brakes and blocking the opposite side of the road. The oncoming drivers were not impressed, and neither was I so I gave him a lungful as I 'undertook' him! :cursing:

I would certainly report this to the police, at the very least she was driving without due care and attention. The police may well want to know why she has not reported an accident where someone has suffered an injury.

I would also take some legal advice. You may have only suffered slight injury, but I would still think about an injury claim. Not so much for the compensation, but for the affect it may have on her future insurance renewal. A few points on her licence and a few quid on her premium may make her concentrate in future.

Crankarm

Guru
Police will do absolutely nothing. Without witnesses they will say your word against hers. You will even struggle to get her insurance details, if she has insurance, as the police won't give them to you and she as hell won't as you won't be able to trace her unless she was turning into where she lives then you can go and knock on her door. But doing this she'll probably call the police and accuse you of harrassment and then you'll be banged up in a cell and charged all because this stupid woman knocked you off. I would move on. Life is crap enough without adding more to it.

OP
OP
paul04

paul04

Über Member
Police will do absolutely nothing. Without witnesses they will say your word against her.

Thats what exactly I was thinking.

Having a look around the website about bike accidents, most do give good advice, which I have noted for next time (hopefully this will not happen again)
I always carry my mobile phone with me, so I can take pictures if I need to, and now carry a pen and paper (small enough to fit in my small saddle bag under the seat) so I can write any details down.

If unfortunately this does happen again, no matter how minor, I will report it to the police, even if they do nothing, at least they will speak to the driver, and it just might make the driver think about what they did.

Cycled 2.59 miles to work today and amassed three near misses. Someone's out to get me it seems.
OT, I've successfuly managed to avoid ksi (its actually off peak I find that although there's less events muppets are less attentive), quite a few times if I'd been positioned differently it would have been a ksi :ohmy: I really couldn't do anyhting about the muppet who drove into the back of me other than pull out into the circulatory car on the rbt :wacko: Fortunately, it was pretty minor.

BSRU

A Human Being
I had a brain dead bint try something similar yesterday, fortunately the Airzound does come in useful sometimes.

DWiggy

Über Member
Glad your okay fella, sounded scary stuff, never good when you have an off!!
The other day I had near miss, I had my front 350 lumen mini sun light strobing, going down hill in a prime position travelling around 25-30mph, dressed in luminous green!!(cant miss me) When a middle age lady pulled out on me leaving me no option but to shout/scream at her which seemed to have the desired effect.
It looked like she saw me but still pulled out then before she could react, she panicked and luckily for me she did give me just enough room to squeeze by, she held back from over taking me for a good 200m after that...I'm sure the same woman did exactly the same thing a few months back.
No matter how much fore thought you put in to protecting yourself on the road as a cyclist people still just don't see us bike riders!!

snailracer

Über Member
You should report it to the police - the motorist may already have done so with their "version" of events, which might have made you out to be the party at fault.

OP
OP
paul04

paul04

Über Member
You should report it to the police - the motorist may already have done so with their "version" of events, which might have made you out to be the party at fault.

I never took any details down (reg number)
They do say we learn as we go, so I will be ready next time( fingers crossed there will NOT be a next time)

Top Bottom