1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was the teacher right?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Bigtallfatbloke, 25 Sep 2007.

1. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

Ok...this happened at my sons school recently and I just wondered what the general opinion was as to if he was right, or out of order?

It was school photo day, as the sixth form class took their positions in front of the camera the teacher pulled one guy out of the group and refused to let him have his picture taken with the class....because he was wearing makeup & lipstick, (which apparently he does all the time at school anyway). So he is allowed to wear it in class but not in the photo.

There is no school uniform policy in the sixth form.

The bulk of the class seem to think the teacher was out of order to single him out. What say you?

2. Lord of the Teapot

Lord of the Teapot New Member

Well out of order.

The teacher concerned will not be getting any tea from me this term!

3. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

If there's no uniform policy and he wears it everyday then what reason did the teacher have? Miserable toad! Goths of the world unite!xx(

4. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

I bet there's a bit of history behind that though.

5. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

If he was that bovvered he should have just licked it off.

Seriously though, it is bang out of order and highly unprofessional, definitely not setting a good example. Why could he not have spoken to the guy before hand for instance, called him into the heads office and come up with a solution rather than making a big display of it.

6. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

My reaction is split - to haul him out with no explanation is out of order, but there may have been a good reason (or at least a clear reason) behind the action.

Schools have to preserve their reputations, which means looking socially acceptable to the masses, who are unfortunately for people like your sons classmate, very narrowminded with respect to appearences.

7. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

But if you have no uniform policy how do you achieve this?

8. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

were gingers allowed in the line-up? xx(

9. johnr

johnr Über Member

It is an unbending principle that teachers are never right. It is however, a pleasure to read of the hole this miserable specimin is digging for himself. There is nothing, in my experience, better designed to entertain adolescents than a good row with authority figures about how they style themselves. It'll run and run...

10. simoncc

simoncc New Member

Were the girls and women teachers allowed in the photo along with their make up?

11. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Strikes me as the sort of thing to do if you want to be given voluntary early retirement.

12. mr_hippo

mr_hippo Living Legend & Old Fart

That teacher would be out of place in Thailand, some schools have three toilet blocks - girls, boys and ladyboys! One of my students, lovely boy of about 15 was told off by me for putting his make-up on in my class. I told him to put it on before class! The next time he put his make up on in class, I confiscated his large make up bag and he was not happy!

13. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

This very same scenario was in the papers here today; the boy was NOT allowed to be photographed with his class and school mates. Appalling decision.

14. punkypossum

punkypossum Donut Devil

If the girls were allowed to wear make-up, then he had no right to pull the guy up about it!

15. Jaded

Jaded New Member

Simple. Give the lad a crew-cut in Photoshop.