Was this illegal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

I did my first official 10 mile Time Trial yesterday.

About 30 seconds after starting off, I caught up to a car, which was stuck behind a van, they were doing about 25mph. I tried to hang back a bit as to not get in the cars slipstream, but they were going too slowly and I kept catching them back up. Would this technically be illegal? I had no other choice but to stay behind the car until it was safe to overtake.

When I overtook the car and the van, a car came the other way, just as I was level with the front of the van, so I had to sprint to get in front, he didn't even slow down to let me in :angry:

Time trial was really fun though, I overtook 2 people :biggrin:

Average speed was 22.85mph, I really want to get that up to 25mph, but I don't know how long that would take.

Chrisz

Über Member
Good effort but yes - illegal!

It will also mean your time/av speed are not comparable to future TTs unless you can get a tow again :smile:

SimonC

I did my first official 10 mile Time Trial yesterday.

About 30 seconds after starting off, I caught up to a car, which was stuck behind a van, they were doing about 25mph. I tried to hang back a bit as to not get in the cars slipstream, but they were going too slowly and I kept catching them back up. Would this technically be illegal? I had no other choice but to stay behind the car until it was safe to overtake.

When I overtook the car and the van, a car came the other way, just as I was level with the front of the van, so I had to sprint to get in front, he didn't even slow down to let me in :angry:

Time trial was really fun though, I overtook 2 people :biggrin:

Average speed was 22.85mph, I really want to get that up to 25mph, but I don't know how long that would take.

Who, the people in the car?

Wouldnt worry about any tow from the cars, presume it was a club 10?

Good effort though.

Will1985

Über Member
Nothing really to stop you doing it - anything under 18:30 the rider has relied heavily on catching a draft from passing traffic/slow moving military convoys.

Top Bottom