Wash yer bidons properly!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always try to kep my water bottles clean and sanitary, treating them to an overnight fill of hot water and two Steradent tablets. However, I noticed an unpleasant taste from my Zipvit-logo'd bottle yesterday so decided to do a soak. Checked it this morning and noticed some black staining around the inside of the moving part of the nozzle, Took it to bits and found this;

P1040559.jpg

P1040561.jpg

That black crud will not come off, despite some energetic scrubbing so I can only assume that mould or similar has got into the silicone rubber of the nozzle. And to think, I've been drinking through that!! xx(

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Mine go in the dishwasher after each use

compo

Veteran
I am a peasant. The only dishwasher we have is my wife (when she gives me a night off). So like VamP I use Milton periodically.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What a waste of money when tap water costs something like £0.006 per litre!

But just think.... if you refilled your mineral water bottles from the tap, people would still think you were unusually wealthy!

paulb55

Über Member
Rinse, freezer. Job done. Fresh bottles every time
Yep,

I rinse mine, then put the whole bottle in the freezer and also the top but separate them and i have been doing that for 6 months with the same 2 bottles and just checked them and clean as a whistle so agree with YahudaMoon

snorri

Legendary Member
Some of you lot scare the wits out of me.
I've just been rinsing out my bottles and putting them back in a kitchen cupboard after use, a maintenance regime that has been in place since I got them with the bike twelve years ago.
On reading this thread I inspected the bottles and lids with a magnifying glass and can't see anything untoward.
Should I get a new magnifying glass?

I rinse and allow to throughly dry before putting them away, and from time to time they go int the dishwasher.

I also use Camelbak Podium bottles so my fluid tastes exactly as it should due to the, "Trutaste Polypropylene with hydroguard which lets you taste your water, not your bottle" :wacko:

It might seem like Camelbak are trying to baffle with bull$hit but it works. I hate the taste of fluids out of standard plastic bottles xx(

Top Bottom