1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Washer-Dryers

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by domtyler, 4 Apr 2008.

1. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Any good?

Worth the bother or just stick to washing machine and get a tumble dryer when I've got more space?

2. Stick on a Giant

Stick on a Giant New Member

Unless they've improved dramatically, go for 2 separate machines, our old (admittedly 10+ years ago) combined effort took ages to dry anything. And aren't tumble-dryers on a par with patio heaters for climate change?

Oh, forgot, we've got one!

3. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

Ditto. Two separate machines required. They work, but that's just about all you can say.

4. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

My sis-in-law has one that works well. We have 2 sep machines, but (on my insistence) only use the tumbly when outside is wet and someone needs it NOW

5. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

So cheap ones are crap but the top end of the market, Miele etc., work on a par with separates? Would that be fair?

6. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine

Never had a problem with our washer-dryer. Not compared it with a separate one, but it seems to work OK. I prefer the line though, weather permitting.

7. sheddy

sheddy Veteran

I seem to remember that WHICH said they were to avoided. That was a few yrs back. They should have the mags in your local library.

8. walker

walker New Member

I used to own one and it was great

9. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

if you can accommodate two, do so. we used to have a combined one which did a 6kg wash but could only do a 4kg dry. where the other 2kg was meant to go wasn't mentioned in the instructions…;)

10. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Driers 'eat' the electricity and should only be used as a last resort IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. vbc

vbc Guest

I have a hard working washer/drier, she also does my ironing and cooking all for £2.75 an hour!

12. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

They are always the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Got a modern combined one. It's pointless imho. Dries out things like very thin shirts slightly and barely touches anything else. The shirts would dry in about 4-6 hours if left somewhere aired properly overnight. Even the worst tumble driers I've used (I'm not a fan and prefer not to use them if possible) were vastly superior at least making a decent effort at drying thicker materials.

14. There was a washer/ dryer in my last flat I rented for 4 years and this one I've had for 2 1/2 years and touch wood I've never had a problem. I tend however not to use the dryer much.

15. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

Mine's great, at the end of the day it WILL do what it says on the tin.
    However, only when it's not particularly full (things will still be slightly damp if it's crammed) and only put clarty old clothes in it and towels as any nice well fitting clothes it shrinks them. And it probably does use quite a bit of electricity.