Washing genuine chamois lined shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rrarider

Veteran
I have a couple of pairs of cycling shorts with a genuine chamois insert. By this I mean it's a piece of leather from a chamois goat, not a piece of synthetic material. These are quite old , still in good condition and comfortable. I wash them, as was recommended, in soap flakes.

It appears that soap flakes are no longer manufactured and are now impossible to obtain. My alternatives are : 'liquid soap flakes' (sic) or buying some castile soap (maybe Knight's Castile) and grating it. I am asking if any member still using old style shorts, has tried either of these options and can comment on their success or failure of the method?

PK99

Legendary Member
I have a couple of pairs of cycling shorts with a genuine chamois insert. By this I mean it's a piece of leather from a chamois goat, not a piece of synthetic material. These are quite old , still in good condition and comfortable. I wash them, as was recommended, in soap flakes.

It appears that soap flakes are no longer manufactured and are now impossible to obtain. My alternatives are : 'liquid soap flakes' (sic) or buying some castile soap (maybe Knight's Castile) and grating it. I am asking if any member still using old style shorts, has tried either of these options and can comment on their success or failure of the method?

Do you wear woollen cycling shirts as well?

I'm puzzled as to why you would want to wear real chamois shorts, there is a very good reason modern shorts use synthetics - they are better!

Gert Lush

I'm puzzled as to why you would want to wear real chamois shorts, there is a very good reason modern shorts use synthetics - they are better!

vickster

Legendary Member
What's wrong with the liquid ones? Don't you dissolve the flaked variety in water so they are made into a liquid?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tesco usually sell soap flakes. Good for washing waterproof kit.

But, I would seriously move over to modern synthetic pads. No need for cream and no messing with drying out the leather pad. I wouldn't go back. Can't believe the lycra is still OK as that deteriorates.

Make sure your old shorts aren't see through :laugh:

Top Bottom