Washing The Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've only ever cleaned my bike with baby wipes because when i look on the net about washing the bike they always go on about getting water in the bottom bracket.
But having ridden through the winter it now needs more TLC than baby wipes.
I'd love to know what your methods are?Is it the pressure washer the garden hose or a spray on bike cleaner?
Thanks.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Washing up liquid and a gentle sprinkle with the garden hose. Silicon sealant round the junction of the post and tube plus more over the clamping slot prevents water ingress from cleaning and spray from the back tyre.

And before anyone goes on about salt in washing up liquid I've been cleaning mine like that for over fifty years and never had one go rusty.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sounds like your preferred means of cleaning may become tricky to continue if stories about a ban on plastic-containing wet wipes are true.

I think the susceptibility of bearings to water ingress might be overstated. After all they survive riding in the rain. That said I don't know anything about pressure washers, I've never used one, so they may be a Bad Thing, I don't know.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Washing up liquid and a gentle sprinkle with the garden hose. Silicon sealant round the junction of the post and tube plus more over the clamping slot prevents water ingress from cleaning and spray from the back tyre.

And before anyone goes on about salt in washing up liquid I've been cleaning mine like that for over fifty years and never had one go rusty.

The only issue with washing up liquid is it strips the wax

Slick

Guru
I've just been given a bit of a row from a guy who has somehow managed to free my Ally seat post from my carbon frame that has been stuck for years. He showed me the underside of my old seat clamp and the nuts that should move freely are welded tight, and that's because they have been subject to the same neglect my seat post has. I did take on board what he was saying but my retort was that this bike was for fun and getting use out of, and if all I need to do is bring it back to him every 4 years or so, then that's what I'll do. :okay:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I hose mine off when the mud is still wet - this gets it mostly acceptable. For a proper clean I’ll just wipe it with a wet sponge or cloth whilst hosing it. Then I’ll dry and oil the chain. Very occasionally I’ll take the wheels and chain off and treat it to a nook and cranny clean - I’ll use baby wipes for bits of that (they’re good at lifting oil stains from chainstays and the like).

I have had a couple of seized BBs recently although I traced this to the shop builder leaving a sticker in place over the BB drain hole on the frame (plus the SRAM DUB BB is a bit pants - now replaced by a far better Nukeproof one).

Top Bottom